Go to solution
Barty_1
Advisor

Cant configure MSM317 through webbrowser :(

Hello,

I have read the manual for MSM317 and i try to do this:

Configure your computer to use a static IP address in the range 192.168.1.2 to
192.168.1.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Set the default gateway to
192.168.1.1, and the DNS server to 192.168.1.1.
For example, in Windows XP, use Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties to define these settings.
Use a standard Ethernet cable to connect your computer to Port 1, 2, 3, or 4 on the MSM317.
Power on the MSM317 by connecting an Ethernet cable from a PoE power source to the Uplink port on the rear of the MSM317.
Initially, the Power light will blink once every two seconds. Wait until it blinks once per second before proceeding to the next step.
Open a web browser (at least Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or Mozilla Firefox 2.0) on your computer and specify the address: https://192.168.1.1.
At the security certificate prompt proceed as follows: In Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, select Continue to this website. In Firefox 2, select Accept this certificate temporarily for this session and OK.
On the Login page, specify admin for both Username and Password and then select Login.

But i cant get past step 5, my browser cant find the page. I have reset the AP to factory settings but it wont work anyway. I have the right ip settings but theres no link between the AP and the computer.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. -HP Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: Cant configure MSM317 through webbrowser :(

msm 317 working only msm access or mobility controller device

don't runing autonoumus mode

if you want use msm 317 must have purchase msm multi service controller
cenk

Barty_1
Advisor

I have a Procurve MSM760 Controller, but i dont configure the MSM317 through the controller dont i?
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor
Solution

connect msm controller lan port and msm 317 on switch (msm 317 must connect PoE port)

open dhcp server service on msm controller

msm 317 take ip on msm controller dhcp and connect controller and msm 317 device

very easy
cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

what is you controller software version ?
cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

msm 371 device for controller connection
controller software version must have 5.3.1 or highter
cenk

Barty_1
Advisor

Yeah I have the Controller software version: 5.3.1.0-01-7143 so thats shouldnt be any problem then.

Okey, i'll try to describe my situation as detailed as possible (my english isnt the best :D).

I have three vlans, Vlan1 is a communication device VLAN where switches are manageable from.
Vlan2 is a client vlan.
Vlan3 is a server vlan.

So i want the Controller to be managed in the Comunication vlan. And i want the clients to have wireless access with and get ip-address from a dhcp that already exist on that vlan.

The problem is i cant even see the AP in "Controlled AP's" Or "Default Group". I've tried to enbale DHCP on the LAN Port but it wont work :(

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

The AP by default uses a plug and play mechanism to discover the controller. It needs first to discover what VLANs are configured. In order to do so, it looks at the L2 broadcasts/multicasts on the network to discover which VLANs are available. Then it tries to get an IP address through DHCP, and finally it tries discovering the controller.

Please read chapter 5 of the latest manual which is called Working with controlled APs and especially the section called Discovery of controllers by controlled APs. Here is a link to the latest manual (it says for v5.4 but that discovery part is the same in your 5.3.1 release): http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/MSM7xx-MCG-Apr10-5998-0308-v54.pdf

The mechanism should be well explained there. I think what you miss is maybe some broadcasts/multicasts on a particular VLAN which is your communication VLAN. If so, try to do a ping to an address on that subnet, which will generally generate an ARP request which will be broadcasted on the subnet. See if you get anywhere further with this info and let us know.
Barty_1
Advisor

Thanks!

I find the AP now!

Next problem :)
I have drawn a nice picture in paint to show you how its connected. The problem is that i cant reach the internet from the Wireless network, or if i connect with wire. The AP works fine with dhcp and everything and i can ping everything on the 192.168.2.0 Network (See pic) but when i try to reach the outside it fails.

I've enabled NAT on the Internet port and i have added the ADSL vlan in the controller.

I can ping the LAN port and the Internet port but not the GW and if i SSH to the controller and ping from there i can reach everything.

Do i have to have a second Vlan in the client network or is it something about the routes thats wrong?

Right now Im just in a test environment and thats why the network topology is a little weird :)

Thanks in advance!

//Barty
Barty_1
Advisor

Hello!

I found the sulotion :)
It worked all along just that I couldnt ping anything because of the html authentication.
Sometimes you shoulnt just verify the internetconnection just by ping :)

Thanks for the answers!

//Barty