New Discussion

Changing the hostname showed in guest captive portal

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Changing the hostname showed in guest captive portal

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to change the default "wireless.colubris.com" hostname that the internal DNS gives to the controller IP when using the html web guest portal.

I have not found anything in the CLI nor the web config refering to that. There are a variable in the backed up xml config called "hostname" in the <PORT-LAN> section. But if I change this and restore the changed config, its still reverted back to wireless.colubris.com.

Anyone know where to change this?

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

4 REPLIES 4
tschaps
Valued Contributor

Re: Changing the hostname showed in guest captive portal

Would creating a static A record with the hostname in your network DNS server(s) be a good enough solution? If what you tried didn't work, I'd guess it's a hard-coded value in the firmware. 

Have you SSH'ed into the Controller and tried modifying the config that way? Do so at your own risk, of course, in a test environment ;)

Glen Willms
Frequent Advisor
Solution

This is probably one of the easiest, most automatic things that the MSM series does. It definitely is not intuitive though. 

All you need to do is generate a new SSL certificate using the new DNS name that you would like to use. Switch the 'HMTL Authentication' certificate to use the new certificate and you're done. 

The controller will read the common name from the cert and change the DNS name to match. 

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Glen, aha! Hah I would never have thought of that. Even if you dont use https it still derive hostname from the cert?

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Ok just tried this on a lab controller and indeed, it derives the hostname from the cert even if you dont use https. I actually found a note about this in the implementation guide now also, but it sure isnt intuitive. Thanks!
---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S