M and MSM Series
1753935 Members
9817 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Client data tunnel - is pure L2 possible?

davehedgehog
Advisor

Client data tunnel - is pure L2 possible?

I have a VSC setup for access points within our office. It does not use the controller for access control, and instead just egresses the AP's directly onto the LAN tagged for VLAN6.

This works great, but now I want to add another AP at a remote location over the internet and use the client data tunnel to tunnel back to the MSM760's internet port. I have set it up as a L3+NAT AP, and it is in sync and OK.

I've setup a new VSC for this (shame I can't use the same SSID twice, but not to worry.)

The bit I am stuck on is that I want the traffic to egress the LAN port of the controller, tagged for VLAN6. I want the wireless clients at the remote site to be part of the same broadcast domain as the wireless clients at the office. I can't work out how to do this, it seems I have to assign an IP address to the VLAN interface on the controller. Why do I need to assign an IP address? I want to keep this purely a L2 setup but I am confused where to go from here. Have I misunderstood? Some posts i've seen seem to indicate that tunnelled traffic must be routed, but I find that hard to believe. Surely it must be possible to just let it egress the controller as normal but tagged for correct VLAN

Any advice much appreciated :-)

1 REPLY 1
davehedgehog
Advisor

Re: Client data tunnel - is pure L2 possible?

After further research it looks like this requires the MTM feature to be enabled. I don't have a license so I don't think i'll be able to do it.