1752577 Members
3681 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Colubris MSC-5200 (aka MSM760) Stops handling DNS requests

Conrad B
Occasional Advisor

Colubris MSC-5200 (aka MSM760) Stops handling DNS requests

Every so often the MSC-5200 stops responding to client DNS requests. Since it is acting as the DHCP server, it is taking all the DNS requests and forwarding them on.

I am able to make a change on the DNS settings and save it usually. This restarts the DNS service.

Anyone else seen this behaviour? Is there a fix? Is there any way for the controller to provide an external DNS (ex: opendns) when giving out DHCP addresses?

Thanks in advance for your help
11 REPLIES 11
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

The MSC-5200 is not equivalent to the MSM760, it was renamed MSM730. What is your SW version?
Conrad B
Occasional Advisor

OK... yes the MSM730 directly replaced the 5200. Last one I bought was a MSM760 since the 730 is no longer available.

Anyhow the version is 5.2.2.0-01-6215.

Yesterday, doing a reset did not help much. It would just stop respondng shortly after. So far today it was restarted at 6:30 am and is still running
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

I believe the latest maintenance release close to your version is v5.2.6. This is most likely a SW bug, especially if restarting the DNS process is solving the issue. So you should probably try to upgrade to the latest maintenance release to benefit from the bug fixes.
Conrad B
Occasional Advisor

Yes, that may be worth trying.

Where can I get the newer firmware versions?

Is a contract required?

Thanks....CB

Fred!
Trusted Contributor

Yes you need a support contract and you need to contact the support organization to get access to the maintenance release.
Conrad B
Occasional Advisor

I have not had much success with finding out what support packages are available for the Colubris items. These were bought in early 2009 when there was very little Colubris product available and the HP branded equipment was not availabel yet.

Just left a message with one of the HP account reps. Hopefully they ma ybe able to provide sku numbers etc.

Thanks again
Conrad B
Occasional Advisor

Still having very little success in getting support options from HP.

Fred, do you happen to know a Canadian, preferably in Alberta, reseller\suppport team that has expertise with the Colubris equipment?
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't know that information. All I could say is that you should probably try to call the following numbers respectively for sales assistance and support assistance:

https://my.procurve.com/HELP/Help_ContactInfo.aspx?cwp=1&SelectedTab=1
https://my.procurve.com/HELP/Help_ContactInfo.aspx?cwp=2&SelectedTab=2
Conrad B
Occasional Advisor

If anyonne else has this a similar issue, check out this faq. Once I got rid of the Webauth process restarting, the DNS issues went away too

https://my.procurve.com/knowledgebase/knowledgemanagement.aspx?wp=showarticle&id=272