Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration problem with HP MSM710 - AP Unconfigurable

Highlighted
fblanay
Frequent Visitor

Configuration problem with HP MSM710 - AP Unconfigurable

Hello

I am new to controller configuration and I am experiencing a problem a I cannot solve:

I installed a new MSM710 controller on my LAN and I am trying to connect the first 2 MSM430 access points. Both of them are correctly detected by the controller. However, on the Configured APs screen, I systematically see for both access points as  "Unconfigurable".

I read that this problem is supposed to occur when the maximum number of APs is reached. It is not my case as I only have so far 2 APs connected to the controller.

Can somebody help me ?

Many thanks.

Federico

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Configuration problem with HP MSM710 - AP Unconfigurable

Did you started to work with MSM710 Access Controller and MSM430 Wireless APs both set to a factory default state?

By default, as you noticed, the MSM710 supports (up to) 10 APs, this is its non extensible APs capacity...and that limit can't be removed or deactivated...so what you're reporting is pretty strange.

Was the APs Provisioning parameter already enabled (check Controller -> Controlled APs -> Provisioning)?

What are the respective software versions involved (MSM710 and MSM430)?

How many configured APs does the MSM710 Access Controller show?

What the Controller -> Maintenace -> License page reports (in terms of Supported authenticated APs with a Permanent expiration)? it should be 10 and Expiration should be "Permanent" (no expiration date).

Highlighted
fblanay
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

Yes I started both controller and AP set to factory default state. I had then to change IP address for both in order to match with my LAN. 

The APs Provisionon parameter was not enabled. I enabled it and restart the APs, but the result is the same: "unconfigurable"

Software version for the MSM710 is: 5.3.3.0-01-7357

Software version for the MSM430 APs is: 6.2.1.1-18016

The MSM710 only show 2 unconfigurable APs as I have only connected so far the first 2 APs.

The licence page does not report any licence installed. The problem might then come from here. My problem is that I acquired the MSM710 second hand and I don't know how to get these licences.

Thanks.

Federico.

Highlighted
parnassus
Honored Contributor

IMHO the culprit could be the Firmware version mismatch between the MSM710 (which, if I recall correctly, should support up to 6.0.x, not more...since 6.2 and onward versions are not compatible with it) and the MSM430.

Would be interesting to see if upgrading the MSM710 to 6.0 can have a positive effect or if, instead, you will be forced to downgrade the MSM430 to a Firmware version compatible with the one which is running on the MSM710.

Probably the license page will show up if you upgrade to 6.0, AFAIK the 10 AP support license of the MSM710 can't be removed/relocated/edited/deleted...it's - sort of - built-in.

Highlighted
fblanay
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the answer. I will try this.

Regards.

Federico

Highlighted
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Good luck. Buona fortuna.