1751765 Members
4473 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 560 (ww) needing a reboot daily

BrewCrew
Occasional Advisor

Controlled HP 560 APs Not Allowing Traffic and Requiring Reboots

I am having a problem with my HP 560 access points not allowing traffic to propegate across the link. The clients appear to connect to the access point, but are not able to get an IP or access anything across the connection for either SSID. The controller shows that the AP is up and providing wireless services, but it does not show any clients connected. When I reboot the AP everyone can connect and ge to where they need to go. The problem exists for both our Windows and Chrome devices. I have had a couple of VIP areas that I just gave up on fighting and rebooting and re-installed some old MSM 422 APs and they work perfectly fine. This has been a problem for quite a while, I think from day 1 with the 560s. I had always hoped that new firmware would resolve the problem, but it has yet to do so. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

APs: Mix of HP 560 and MSM 422
Controller: MSM 760
Firmware: 6.6.5.0-23187
Network Equip: HP 5300 and 5500 series switches
WLAN: Secured internal VLAN and guest VLAN

5 REPLIES 5
merminger
Visitor

Look for this line in the controller config:

rei-off-channel-scanning = ENABLED

IF it is set as disabled, the AP errors on "Bands to scan" and "Channels to scan" when it tries to initiate a scan. There is no where in the controller to set the setting (that I have found,) so a find/replace of the config file will be necessary. You will change that line multiple times.

Just something to check. 

BrewCrew
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the idea, Merminger. I looked through the config and found all of the rei-off-channel-scanning settings are enabled.

BrewCrew
Occasional Advisor

I had an AP acting up this morning and saved the log file. This line was repeated over and over and filled the log:

Feb 20 06:10:54.206    err    kernel: Setting frequency to 246200000 exp1 in r2v2  (rc=-22)
Feb 20 06:11:05.622    err    kernel: Setting frequency to 246200000 exp1 in r2v1  (rc=-22)
Feb 20 06:11:05.623    err    kernel: Setting frequency to 246200000 exp1 in r2v2  (rc=-22)

CraigS1971
Valued Contributor

Hi BrewCrew,

That may be RRM that wants to change channels on the radios, but there could be something else already broadcasting on channel 11.  Try to remove channel 11 from the list of channels available on the radio and check what happens.

Also remember that the HP MSM equipment complies with European ETSI standard which include radar frequencies. DFS will detect a radar frequency and automatically change the channel even if RRM is disabled. (pg 84 http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3963981&docId=emr_na-c03738050&docLocale=en_US)

If this does not help, please give us more of the logfile.

BrewCrew
Occasional Advisor

Removing channel 11 did not help and as far as I know there isn't anything running radar that would penetrate into those areas of the building. 

After doing some reading I decided to change the neighborhood scanning rates as was suggested by another forum. I changed the scan ratio to .1%, dwell time to 20ms, Channes to Scan to Non-Excluded, and Bands to Scan to Operating band only. I just made these changes so I do not know if it will help. 

I do have the full logs of the one of the recent APs that was causing problems.