1748214 Members
3163 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DHCP Relay problems

Ola Angervall

DHCP Relay problems

Hi all!

Has anyone got DCHP Relay working in a MSM710?

Ive been trying all configs I can think of, but none seem to work. I have the MSM Firewall set to "none" and NAT disabled (which is required). Any hints appritiated :)

/Ola
8 REPLIES 8
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

can you tell me what are you trying to implement exactly ?
Ola Angervall

Hello!

Im trying to connect clients to a VSC that has an egress VLAN that contains a DHCP-server and I want the wireless clients to get their IP from that DHCP-server instead of the one integrated in the MSM. The VSC has access control enabled.

The reason is simply to have all IP:s (wired or wireless clients) assigned from the same place making the AD update the DNS etc.

Like I said before, Ive tried an insane number of configs just to try to get DHCP-relay to work at all, but with no luck. Anyone have it working at all?
Fred!
Trusted Contributor

In my experience, most of the problems with DHCP relayed request reside at the DHCP server itself. Some may not accept relayed requests, or they may be explicitly configured to accept relayed request.

Some suggestions: ideally what you want to do is make some traces on your network to see if the controller relays the requests properly to your DHCP server. You can look at the logs of your DHCP server to see if it is dropping anything. You can look at the logs of the controller (unfiltered) to see if you can see the relayed request (it sdhould be indicated in the log).
Ola Angervall

I will look and see if I can find something. I have tried different DHCP-servers as well without any luck. Thanx for the tip and Ill post here if I find anything
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

use the below steps, and you dont neet to enable DHCP relay on the controller, enable the DHCP server on the controller to gice IP address to the APs normaly, then create another VSC and follow the below:

IF external DHCP Server:
-Create the VLAN on the Controller
-Assign IP address to the VLAN.
-Create the VLAN on the switch
-Untag the AP port and the Controller port on the Management VLAN.
-Tag the AP port on the VLAN that you have created (Do not tag the port that connects the controller)
-Untag the port that connects the DHCP server on that VLAN.
-On the VSC define the VLAN as egress.
-On the VSC binding on the group, create binding to the VSC you configured and check ├в use egress vlan├в and put the VLAN ID
Ola Angervall

Hi !

Thanx for the reply, but I dont think this will work since I need to access control this VSC, e.g I need to send the traffic from the wireless clients through the controller. Please tell me if I'm wrong. Has noone really gotten DHCP relay working?
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

what i mentioned will work with access control.
Steelena

Hello Ola.

I have now the same situation/problem as you did. What was your solution?

KR, Lena