M and MSM Series
1745821 Members
3984 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Difference between HP E-MSM760 Mobility Controller and HP E-MSM760 Access Controller

Bernd Nowak
Frequent Advisor

Difference between HP E-MSM760 Mobility Controller and HP E-MSM760 Access Controller

Hi all,

I can not see the difference between those 2 other then that the one device is called Mobility and the other is called Access Controller.

And there's a wider range of Access Points but this is for sure a different queestion.

Browsing through this forum I noticed a firmware question regarding access points and it was mentioned that a SW care pack is needed to have access to this kind of 'software'. So choosing a SW care pack for either the mobility or access controller seems logical to me but I need SW care pack(s) for the access points too to stay on the save side?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: Difference between HP E-MSM760 Mobility Controller and HP E-MSM760 Access Controller

The extra features of the Mobility controller is:

Teaming

Opportunistic key caching

L3 mobility/roaming

The upgrade is done via software key, so you can upgrade an existing Access controller with the purchase of Mobility upgrade license.

You buy a care pack for the controller. When you upgrade the controller all the associated APs will upgrade to the same version as well (they have to match). The separate carepacks for the APs is used when they are used in standalone mode.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S