4833 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Discovering of AP

MicroRichard
Occasional Contributor

Discovering of AP

Hi,

I have a problem on the discovery of msm 317 and msm410.

I have 150 AP and the discovery of AP is very long.

After I discovered all the AP and working fine. I tried to restart the MSM760 and the POE switches where the MSM410 and MSM317 are connected.

It took me 1 day to rediscover all 150 AP.

I checked the logs of the AP's

I noticed this error "Packet received contains an invalid subnet"

But after an hour or two, the AP was discovered.

All AP gets DHCP address from the controller.

How could I make the discovery process much faster?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: Discovering of AP

Howdy,

Are the AP's across different subnets? Different sites across WAN links?

What does your topology look like?

Do you use DNS, DHCP (option 43) based discovery?

Single controller, multiple or team?

Encoding the controller IP into the DHCP packets that the AP's get from their local L3 device usually works best if your kit is spread across multiple IP address ranges.

Do some googling for "colubris option 43" - that should point you in the right direction.

If they are in a single subnet and the controller is local the UDP broadcast should sort things out itself. If you have discovery issues in this "simple" configuration you may have a more fundamental network issue such as packet loss, duplicate IP addresses and alike.

Cheers

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
MicroRichard
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

My MSM760 is deployed in inline mode. Internet Port Connected to Public and Lan port to core switch.

My DHCP came from the controller.

Both Controller and the AP's are in the same subnet.

While observing the AP, based from the lights, it got a ip address from the controller, but the problem was, it was not able to find the controller. 

can't seem to troubleshoot the problem.

I havent configure provisioning on the controller, just configure dhcp server and controller discovery on the controller and AP's are in its factory defaults.

I have a simple network, Wireless controller Lan port connected to core. Core switch connected to POE switch then POE switch to Access Points. And all devices uses 192.168.1.0 network.

And all switches is just using the default vlan. POE switches has a default-gateway to core switch, and core switch default-gateway is the wireless controller.

I set discovery only on LAN port.

From the 150 AP, 120AP gets discovered fast, but the remaining 30 AP tooks me the whole day waiting to be discovered. Tried enabling and disabling the port of the switch but did not help. I also checked the dhcp lease, I have 254 dhcp lease and its only using 150. dhcp lease is set to 15min.

This is always the scenerio, and it happens randomly in the AP. So im thinking its not on the switch configuration. 

What else can you advise regarding the discovery?

Should I enable provisioning on the controller? and what else could I set on the controller to make the discovery much faster?

Thanks 

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hmmm,
If all of your devices are on the same LAN segment then the UDP broadcast should take care of it and you don't need any extra provisioning. If the break point is always at 120 with a random selection of AP's, that smells like a bug with the licensing as the licenses are in batches of 40. How many AP's are you licensed for?
HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
MicroRichard
Occasional Contributor

My license is 60 licenses for msm410 and my msm317 is has free license. Version of the controller is, 5.7.0.3.

Actually sometimes it discovers 100 and took me long to discover the 50 ap.

If I assign static ip or fixed dhcp lease on the ap? will that help?

How could I retain the configuration on the AP when it disconnects to the controller?
ISoliman
Super Advisor

Which controller are you using ?