1753964 Members
7179 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP MSM 317

yngve0
Occasional Contributor

HP MSM 317

I consider to install MSM 317 in our conference rooms to get WiFi-access. As far as I understand MSM 317 must be managed by a MSM-controller and can not run unmanaged, not either for basic functionality.

It would be nice if someone could help me clarify the following questions:

1) Will one HP E-MSM710 Access Controller be a suitable controller for 10 MSM317?

2) Could two E.-MSM710 be cascaded to get one environment when I somewhere in future exceed 10 AP's?

3) Could the 4 LAN ports be assigned individually to different VLAN's?

4) Does MSM 317 support Multi SSID / multiple VLAN's wireless?

5) Is administration and setup handable for a network engineer with good basic knowledge about network and WiFi?

Best regards

Yngve

1 REPLY 1
Patrick R
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP MSM 317

1) Will one HP E-MSM710 Access Controller be a suitable controller for 10 MSM317?

Yes, the 710 has max capability of 10 devices 

2) Could two E.-MSM710 be cascaded to get one environment when I somewhere in future exceed 10 AP's?

2 MSM710 can handle 20, if you are planning for more in the future you can get a 760 with a 200 AP max

3) Could the 4 LAN ports be assigned individually to different VLAN's?

yes, you will need to read the MSM710 Management and configuration guide 

4) Does MSM 317 support Multi SSID / multiple VLAN's wireless?

yes, they can support updato 16 SSID/VSC

5) Is administration and setup handable for a network engineer with good basic knowledge about network and WiFi?

If you read the the admin guide and the implimentation guide to get a better idea, you can do it. 

If you have a much complex config, you need to read the admin guide carefully and you will be able to