M and MSM Series
1753952 Members
7615 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP MSM317 and Cisco VOIP PHONES.

Jason Harry

HP MSM317 and Cisco VOIP PHONES.

I have a HP MSM710 Controller with an HP MSM317 Access Point. The scenario I'm trying to get it working in is like this. The client has Cisco Voip Phones. We plan on running one cable to each room to up-link port on the MSM317. From the POE port on the MSM317, we plan to plug the Cisco Voip Phone in so that they receive power. Problem I'm having is that, the phone power up but can't find the call manager. I'm thinking the problem is happening because the MSM317 doesn't forward CDP information even though the MSM710 Controller does forward CDP. This leads to the CDP traffic not propagated through the MSM317 which prevents the phone from finding it's correct vlan thus the call maanger. I may be wrong on this, but that's the only conclusion I came up with. I called HP Support twice and got the same guy who basically told me the same thing.

So basically this thread is to see if anyone else out there has the same problem and if they came up with a work around to it?

Help much appreciated.

Jason.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. - Hp Forum Moderator

7 REPLIES 7
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: HP MSM317 and Cisco VOIP PHONES.

your cisco ip phone to be register without msm 317 ?

can you enable cdp on msm 710 and msm 317 ?

can you disable firewall (none) on msm controller ?
cenk

Jason Harry

yes the phone registers when not connected to the MSM317

CDP is already enabled on the MSM710, however I saw now options to enable it on the MSM317. Therefore I don't think the MSM317 propagates CDP traffic.

No I haven't tried disabling the firewall. Will try this tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

which software version on msm 710
cenk

Jason Harry

The gear is at the office and I'm currently home. Will report back tomorrow once I've verified it.

Thanks,

Jason.
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

all controller mode access point send cdp announcements to controller for controller registration
if your msm 317 register on msm 710
your problem not associate cdp

please check msm 710 firewall
vlan settings and software version
cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Have you solved the problem
cenk

Jason Harry

Hi,

We finally got the solution to work. We had to upgrade the firmware on the controller to 5.5 which enabled us to have 2 vlans running across the POE port. We're now ready for the demo at a client. Will try to write a blog on them and post the link here so that others can follow the setup.

Jason.