108794 Solutions
New Discussion

HP MSM5412zl and MSM765zl configuration

joseph_sun
Occasional Contributor

HP MSM5412zl and MSM765zl configuration

Hi All:

I am newer to HP procurve switch, so forgive me is my question sounds stupid:

We have one MSM765zl install on MSM5412zl chassis, 2 MSM460 APs installed on 765zl.

On the switch, we have data VLAN as 192.168.200.1/24, gateway and DHCP server is our Juniper router.

We like to setup MSM765zl modules to provide wireless connection to the company, with virutal Lan port and Internet port on it, a new wireless VLAN 192.168.206.0/24 will be setup.

My question is:

1. Do I need setup Internet port?

2. If so, the lan port should be 192.168.206.1, untagged in new VLAN,

internet port will be 192.168.204.3, tagged in new VLAN?

And I am able to open the web WUI on 192.168.204.3?

Thanks for your reply

3 REPLIES 3
Arimo
Respected Contributor

Re: HP MSM5412zl and MSM765zl configuration

Hi

1. No, you do not necessarily have to use the Internet port at all. If you do not, put it in a separate VLAN without any other ports in it. Do not disable the port.

2. By default LAN port is the management port. I don't remember from the top of my head whether mangement through Internet port is enabled, it can be enabled on the CLI though.

Since you're new to this stuff, I'd suggest that you go to the manual page http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12883&prodSeriesId=3963981 and download the Configuration guide, and the Implementation guide.

First decide what exactly do you want to achieve. Do you want to have just simple network for your internal users? Do you want to provide wireless services for your guests? Do you have multiple groups of internal users who require different kind of access?

Then open the implementation guide. You will find 5 different ready-made implementations there. Check the introductions, it's 4-5 pages / solution. That will help you to choose a solution that closely fits your needs. Configure that solution, and you should have a working wireless. You can later on fine-tune the implementation to your specific needs.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
joseph_sun
Occasional Contributor

Arimo:

Thanks for the reply. According to your suggestion, I only use LAN port and now wireless network is working, thanks again.

The new problem is: msm765 found 2 APS and I put them into default group, but one AP always report "Priority conflict" error (please see the attachment), do you know what reason is that?

Evan_ISS
Frequent Advisor

@joseph_sun wrote:

Arimo:

Thanks for the reply. According to your suggestion, I only use LAN port and now wireless network is working, thanks again.

The new problem is: msm765 found 2 APS and I put them into default group, but one AP always report "Priority conflict" error (please see the attachment), do you know what reason is that?

Do you have more than one MSM765/760/720/710 on the network and if yes, what are the priorities set under Management -> Device discovery -> Controlled AP discovery?

If you have two controllers with the same priority your APs might have trouble during discovery.