7903 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

HP MSM720 Flexconnect "cisco" option

Sala7
Occasional Visitor

HP MSM720 Flexconnect "cisco" option

Hello Guys ,
  I have a HP MSM 720 Controller in a site with its APs controlled and working fine . I will need to connect APs in another bransch (another subnet) and need to work with the same corporate VSC in the one that had the contoller .
I configured option 43 on the DHCP so the AP can connect to the contoller and I am now connected and can see the AP in the controller list and the user is authorized but can not have a valid IP address (he has the APIPA ip ) , need to connect to the local DHCP server (this can done easily at CISCO WLC when enabling Flexconnect option)
Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: HP MSM720 Flexconnect "cisco" option

Hello,

This seems certainly like something that can be achieved, however it is not called "Flexconnect".  I am assuming that you configured the SSID without "User Controller for Access Controll" because this is the typical setup for corporate SSIDs. You need to check in the configuration which VLAN is configured as egress network of the SSID. You can select the respective AP group of the remote AP in the Network Tree, then go to VSC bindings. Open the VSC binding for the corporate SSID and check if a VLAN is configured as egress network. If a VLAN is configured the AP will send the traffic of this SSID with a VLAN tag to the network. The switch- port has also to be tagged in this VLAN in order for this to work. If no egress network is specified the traffic will be sent without VLAN tag in the native VLAN of the switch-port

Your issues may that you have different VLANs or different configuration of the switch ports in the remote site but all APs are in the same AP group and egressing the traffic the same way. You should check how is configured the switch to which the remote AP is connected. If the clients should obtain an IP address from the same scope from which the AP obtained an IP, then probably the SSID traffic should be sent untagged to the network, that means you shouldnt specify egress network in the VSC binding.

If you need an egress network (tagged VLAN) in the main office but dont need an egress network (that means you need the send the traffice untagged) in the remote branch, you can configure a separate AP group for the APs in the remote branch, then configure a new VSC binding for it without egress network.

For any questions you can consult the MSM Configuration Guide

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3963981&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04741172

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Sala7
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP MSM720 Flexconnect "cisco" option

Hello Emll
   Thanks for your concern ,  I already created a group "L3 Discovery" and I didn't check egress network so that the traffic is untagged , to get you a full view , the WLC and the local APs is working on the native Vlan and they are working normallyl, also the remote AP is in the native Vlan (but diiferent from the one that has the AP) , different site and it communicates normally with the local DHCP in the remote site , the issue now is how can I make the user in this remote site communiucate with the local DHCP ??

Salah