1751695 Members
4886 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Procurve MSM320-R not working

danique
Occasional Visitor

HP Procurve MSM320-R not working

I have an HP Procurve MSM320-R which i haven't used in a while ......... I tried to reset it via the board and after that i don't even get an SSID. 

I can't even open the main login screen via the default ip and it also shows unknown network.

There are three lights on the board; the power, the POE port and the LAN port.

Please help me out solve this.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
danique
Occasional Visitor

The power blinks with the POE port ...... Then sometimes it is the power and LAN. But both of them, you still cannot connect
parnassus
Honored Contributor

@danique wrote:

I have an HP Procurve MSM320-R which i haven't used in a while ......... I tried to reset it via the board and after that i don't even get an SSID.

What's the board?

Terminology apart the HP MSM320-R outdoor access point (Product Numbers: J9365A/B for USA, J9368A/B for Worldwide) model doesn't support the typical Factory Reset procedure through a Reset Button because it hasn't a Reset Button (a mini button hidden enough in the AP chassis to be pressed only through a paper-clip)...SO...if you have reset it before to its factory default settings that means you did that through its Web Management GUI (so you had an access) or via a special procedure OR, in the end, you didn't that at all.

If you did really reset your HP MSM AP by using the Reset Button you haven't an HP MSM320-R outdoor access point...maybe you have the indoor unit MSM320 instead.

To perform a Factory Reset procedure in case of HP MSM320-R outdoor access point you must access its Web Management GUI (called Management Tool...but it's the Web Management GUI portal at - deault - https://192.168.1.1 address) OR you must perform a special factory defaulting procedure explained on the HP MSM3xx / MSM4xx APs Configuration Guide (here at page 127 - January 2014 - or here at page 126 - May 2014).

In any case, if you reset your HP MSM320-R using one of the methods above, you must then understand what are the consequences of defaulting it (see pages 125 and 126 of the guide cited above).

The HP MSM320-R can work in Autonomous Mode (controller-less) up to 6.3.x.x included...so, in case you will need to re-image your MSM Access Point (if there are Firmware issues) - with procedures described here and here - remember to stay away from 6.4.x.x and newer MSM software versions (since MSM 6.4.0.0 the AP will work only in Controller Mode and in absence of an HP MSM Controller you will have a new problem to manage)...Release Notes cites the HP MSM320 but I'm inclined to extend that limitation to HP MSM320-R model too, correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Troubleshooting only watching LEDs patterns...is difficult because you need to know how LEDs Operational Mode is actually set (Normal, Quiet or Awake). By default the Normal mode is selected so, during normal operation, the AP LEDs operates - when in Autonomous Mode - with a definite pattern (here you can find a list of LEDs pattern for troubleshooting your current AP operativity).

Once you're done this HP MSM320-R Quick Start Guide would be of help.

Just for reference (EoS in July 2012): see here to look for the HP MSM320-R status (filter for "Legacy Announcements" and "Wireless"). The EoS announcement is here.

Good luck.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner