1752666 Members
5451 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help Design and Configure MSM760 VLAN and SSID Configuration

bashir rabbani

Help Design and Configure MSM760 VLAN and SSID Configuration

Hi

I need help figuring out how to map VLAN to a SSID. I need SSIDs to drop off traffic at the Controllers ports not at the accesspoints ports, all traffic should be tunneled to the controller. I am using internet port for 2 SSIDs with different VLANs. I will attach a network layout. No NAT or any routing is needed, this is done by the Core switches.

My question is how to configure this SSID and VLAN mapping on the Controller with version 5.7.0.3? 

I have tried Binding VLAN to AP Group VSC:s, tried configure vlan with IP interface and so on... and I am stuck, can't get the traffic to work. From one SSID to a VLAN on the MSM port side. Also I am not using DHCP so I need to relay the DHCP to a server. 

Please help me figure how this works on HP MSM controllers. 

7 REPLIES 7
tschaps
Valued Contributor

It's too late (or early) for a close look, but on first glance, I am wondering if VLAN 1 on the controller LAN ports should be untagged?

bashir rabbani

yes VLAN 1 us untagged as the Native/default vlan.

what I need to know is how to map a SSID to a VLAN on the internet port. the SSID traffic should drop of at the controller side, I dont want to configure Trunk ports on all accesspoints. 

tschaps
Valued Contributor

Ok, your diagram shows VLAN 1 as tagged, not untagged. I understand your question better now, but I don't have an answer, sorry. I thought you were just looking for a reason why tunneled traffic was not making it to the controller. I don't use the Internet port in my setup. Good luck.

bashir rabbani

So If I don't use the internet port how would you configure that?  I can use the LAN port...

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

[It is probably more common to use the Internet port and not the LAN port, but it depends what you are trying to do.]

Assuming your APs are being discovered by the controller, you have two options: MTM (non access controlled) or access controlled with the "Always tunnel client traffic" checkbox ticked in the VSC.

MTM requires the premium licence (which you have if you are teaming), and some specific config on the controller to make sure it is configured correctly as the handler for that traffic.

You can check MTM mobility status with Controller | Status | Mobilty.

Why dod you want to tunnel to the controller though? It is pretty easy to tag ports on the APs, and allows local "optimised" forwarding.

sinnerKem
Occasional Visitor

Hi. Does anybody solve this problem?
JPM_NRC

Hi SinnerKem

Did you ever resolve this? I need to do the same now..

Thanks

JP