New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to deploy this scenario

SOLVED
Go to solution
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

How to deploy this scenario

Hello!

I am new to the world of Wireless Controller and I need help for a setup.

1.  1 controller MSM720 and  30 MSM460 AP
  2.  The controller should make managing all antennas. Two installed in the main headquarters and other units in remote.
  3.  Communication with the remote units will be using VPN IPSEC. My Sonic Wall firewall will make this connection.
  4. APs must authenticate the users on the Wireless Controller.
  5. I will have three networks. Management (vlan1), Employer (vlan10) and Guest (20). These networks will be set on all my devices

How do I get AP the branch is managed by Controller? I need to configure VLANs 1, 10 and 20 in the Controller? In this scenario what port should I use (Internet or LAN)?

Can you help me in this initial configuration?

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
5 REPLIES 5
s528
Occasional Contributor

Your controller is still supported, I would call tech support, they have been awesome helping with setups.  This forum doesnt have enough traffic and not to be relied on much.

Arimo
Respected Contributor
Solution

Sorry to say, but that's not the way. Support is a break/fix team, not a consulting team. When your WLAN isn't working you call support and we will figure out why; and provide appropriate corrective action. "How do I set this up" is strictly consulting, and the std wty doesn't cover that. Neither do standard Care Packs or SW contracts - implementation contract is a diffrent ballgame, and that's done by different people. Consequently it's not something support can help you with.

Check out the Implementation guide http://tinyurl.com/MSMImplGuide for how to set up. It's >1200 pages, but you only need to concern about 15 - the introductions. They will describe what kind of situation each implementation is intended for, and what you need to achieve it. The rest is step-by-step configuration instructions.

The only thing that you need to take into account dealing with the remote APs is discovery method. If the VPN tunnel puts the remote APs in the same subnet with the controller discovery port, the discovery will happen on L2 just the same way as with local APs. This requires no separate action from you. If they are on a different subnet, you will need to provision them with the controller's IP address and provide appropriate route. The APs will then use L3 discovery.

Once the APs are discovered, the physical connectivity or discovery method makes no difference. There will be a control tunnel between the controller and each AP, and all AP management traffic (configuration, firmware upgrade, status information etc...) will be in the secure control tunnel.

Your need is very simple. Once the APs are discovered I'd suggest that you use the Automated Workflows to create your Employee and Guest VSCs.

Explanation in this thread might help you understand how this works: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/MSM-Series/Internet-and-Lan-port-on-MSM-controllers/td-p/6006541

What comes to this forum, I'd disagree with the reliability. Remember that support people are experts on troubleshooting these devices. There are many active people in this forum who are experts in day-to-day administration tasks, including deployments. If you run into a configuration / deployment situation you can't resolve, chances are that someone here has faced the same problem and provide you a good solution for it.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
s528
Occasional Contributor

Great to see someone as knowledgable as you on the forum. It was quite here for a while.

HP support has helpped me configure 9 APs that were plugged into a wireless controller msm720. They actually logged in and assisted but I should add, it was immediately after one port has failed and they were helping bringing the network back up to where it was before the warranty replacement.

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

That's a different scenario - you had a functional wireless which failed. That's definitely support business. What I was saying applies to new deployments, and even it depends a little.

In general the Implementation guide is a good starting point. That'll give you a solid, tested and widely deployed wireless which can be fine-tuned afterwards to suit your particular situation. In problem situation it also helps support - we know how the devices are supposed to behave, and how the traffic should flow.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Hi all !

Arimo, thank you for the information !!!

I am starting the deployment on the client. Expect that to occur all right :).

I have one more question which is not found in the documentation:

1. When using HTML-based authentication is necessary that the machines have the controller as a gateway ?
  2. Example: If the gateway machine is a switch L3 and these has a default route for the control does not work?

Tks.

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA