M and MSM Series
1748169 Members
4101 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to get Web login page to appear for HTML-based logins?

ndoudna
Frequent Advisor

How to get Web login page to appear for HTML-based logins?

I'm trying to set up the a most basic HTML-based guest login, but the Web page with the login prompts won't appear.  I've followed the manual and it looks like everything's set up right.  A wireless user connects to the VSC and can reach the Internet no problem, but the Web page to request a login/password never appears.  It just skips it.

Guest VSC is set up like this:
  Use Controller for Authentication: CHECKED
  Use Controller for Access Control: CHECKED
  Wireless protection: UNCHECKED
  HTML-based user logins: CHECKED
  Authentication Local: CHECKED.

Local User is set up like this:
  Active: CHECK
  Access-controlled account: CHECK
  VSC usage: CHECK
  Restrict this account to these VSCs: <Guest-VSC>

Public Access Access Control is CHECKED.

I'm using an MSM765zl controller running 5.7.0.2.  I know this question comes up a lot, and there are all sorts of ways to configure the controller, but all I want to do is add the Web-login to this setup.

Anyone know what's missing?

thanks!
noemi

10 REPLIES 10
JesseR
Regular Advisor

Under the Virtual AP setting in the VSC do you have

Client Data Tunnel ->Always Tunnel Client Traffic enabled.. or ?

Aside from that, it looks good to me.  Did you try rebooting the controller just to be sure?

Even though no splash page comes up, you're saying that users can connect to that VSC and get right out to the internet, correct?

J

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

ndoudna
Frequent Advisor

>>

Under the Virtual AP setting in the VSC do you have

Client Data Tunnel ->Always Tunnel Client Traffic enabled.. or ?

>>

No, that's unchecked.  Since I'm using an external DHCP server, I don't want to tunnel *all* client traffic back through the controller -- I want DHCP discovers to get broadcast.  (If you wanted to use the Controller's DHCP server, or were traversing a router, then you'd want client data tunneling, but not in this case.)

Tried restarting the controller, no change.

Yes, users can connect to VSC (no authentication, that's supposed to be handled by the Web login page), get everything from DHCP, and then surf away.   But where's the Web login page!  The controller is supposed to intercept the first HTML request, right?

This is such a common feature, why is this so darned difficult?!  Any other ideas?

thanks!

noemi

ndoudna
Frequent Advisor

I just found references in another thread about this to the controller having to act as the DNS server.  Indeed, there is another setting that would seem necessary in order for the splash page to come up:

Network > DNS > DNS interception CHECKED.

However, on my MSM765zl running 5.5.2, this is checked by default, and still no splash page.

When a VSC is "access controlled," the AP sends all the wireless client traffic to the controller, right?  How does it do that?  Does it encapsulate it, or change the destination MAC address of the frames, or what?  What's to prevent the AP's switch port from taking the packets and just forwarding them into the network as normal?

I see from other threads that these HTML-based logins are typically coupled with the controller doing DHCP, DNS, default gateway for the VSC -- and that the controller has to act as the DNS server??

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/E-Series/MSM760-Staff-HTML-web-page-AD-authentication-on-iPad/m-p/5529535

That's not indicated anywhere in the manual, and do you really have to make the controller the DNS and gateway for it to do DNS interception?  Can't the AP send just the DNS frames to the controller? 

I'm amazed there aren't written guides all over the place for this painfully complex but very common task!  I'm sure as heck writing one when I finally figure this out!  Looks like I have some quality -- quantity -- time with Wireshark in my future.

thanks,

noemi

Ali_Moghrabi
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Im having the same problem. Did you manage to fix it ?

im using an external dhcp server so my settings are set to dhcp relay.

Any help would be appreciated, it's driving me nuts !

ISoliman
Super Advisor

You have to tunnel all the traffic to the controller, if you want to use external DHCP server you can configure DHCP rely on the controller and under the VSC this is how it should work, and also DNS should be pointing to the controller's IP so it can intercept the traffic and force the client to get the login page.
Ali_Moghrabi
Occasional Advisor

hey,
thank you for the reply. Yeah i did that, now the login page appears, but once logged in, i dont have internet access for the guest users.
my default gateway is the lan port, bcz from the lan you cld access the internet. Shld the gateway be the internet port?
JunB
Frequent Visitor

Hi, did you guys had this working? I have the same issue
BAODT2
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Can you share me how you fix to appear login page?

I have same problem.

Thanks!

JOjeda
Visitor

Hi.. I have the same problem.. there is no solution about it? ..