5873 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to use both radios in MSM320

esantos999
Advisor

How to use both radios in MSM320

Hi,

We have a new customer running a hotel with a MSM760 controller with 12 MSM320 AP's. The MSM320 are installed on what we call common areas like the reception lobby, 2 restaurants and 2 bars. In this areas, especially the lobby near the hotel reception we have a lot of clients connected to that MSM320. In peak hours we go to 80 active clients connected, which is a very bad experience browsing the web.

The whole wireless installation was done by another company which the customer no longer have a relationship, and now they are asking for our support. I’m new to the wireless HP products.

I found out that the MSM320 has two radios, but now only one radio is configured to run as AP, the Operating mode of radio 2 is Monitor.

Would help distribute clients on the AP if I change the Operating mode of radio 2 to Access point only (like radio1)?

Note: the hotel is in isolated place so we don’t have any interference from any neighbor, beside the other AP’s in the hotel.

Regards,

Edgar Santos

Regards,
Edgar Santos
5 REPLIES 5
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

I do not see any problem you use both radios. Always use both radios for my clients.

I do not know this model of AP, but one is for radio frequency 2.4 and the other 5.0 GHz.

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
esantos999
Advisor

Hi,

It's a MSM320 and only have 2.4GHz radios, that's why I'm asking if it's OK to turn both on and if I have to do any other setup beside that?

Current configuration:

ap.JPG

Regards,
Edgar Santos
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Hello.

No configuration will be necessary, unless you want to set up something specific on the radio. Enable the radio and do the necessary tests ...

esantos999
Advisor

HI,

Thanks for your quick help. And the two radios working togther will help the high number of active clients connected?

Regards,
Edgar Santos
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Not necessarily. There are several variables to be analyzed to check the maximum number of clients per AP.

The topic below can help in this question ...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/MSM-Series/MSM310-Recommended-Number-of-Clients-per-AP/td-p/6713584