1752790 Members
6868 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: If MSM760 access controller goes offline, do AP's keep working

Jbalch
Occasional Visitor

If MSM760 access controller goes offline, do AP's keep working

So letтАЩs say the controller goes off line and the access points at a remote school (managed by the controller) lose power for a few minutes and then come back online.  Will the access point be able to start working again after the reboot and start servicing clients?   Or will the APs have to contact the controller to get itтАЩs configuration before it can service clients?

12 REPLIES 12
ChristianE89
Visitor

Well that depends on your configuration. Do your APs use bridge mode or do they tunnel the connection back to the controller?
Jbalch
Occasional Visitor

VSC's tunnel traffic back to the controller
ChristianE89
Visitor

They don't have to. Depends on if you use access Control or not
Jbalch
Occasional Visitor

I'm actually trying to help someone else out with this problem. I'll find out about the access control. Could you expand on this a little....Thanks
ChristianE89
Visitor

The acesscontrol function is suitable when using a guest network. You will need to look after the setting "Always tunnel client traffic" under Client data tunnel. This setting will only be available when using access control.

Jbalch
Occasional Visitor

OK - Thanks for the help. I'm actually reading through the 760 mgmt guide right now...I may have some further questions later. Thanks again!
Jbalch
Occasional Visitor

OK, so with no access control or authentication and the VSC's are not tunneling traffic back to the controller - if an AP rebooted due to a power problem and the controller was offline, would the AP pass traffic as it was initially configured  to do so with the controller down?

tschaps
Valued Contributor

No, the only time an AP will retain its configuration is if it's set to autonomous mode. In controlled mode, it can continue to function when the controller goes down as long as the AP doesn't lose power. When it boots up, it is useless until it finds a controller.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

The AP will continue to operate (with the existing current) irrespective of connectivity back to the controller until the AP loses power

After the AP loses power, it will not do anything until it has connected to the controller and downloaded the current config.