M and MSM Series
1748118 Members
3646 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Karim-CSI
Collector

Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Hello, everyone.  I've done a few searches and haven't been able to find a functional solution for this...

Does anyone know how I could schedule a regular resetting the controller/APs for, say, Sunday mornings at 4am?  We have issues come up every once in a while which seem to be resolved by resetting everything, which leads to the theory that some issues are simply, you know, 'buffers getting clogged' to put it oversimply.

In any case, it seems like it would be a useful precautionary measure to reset things (nicely) weekly, and see if this continues to occur.

Any suggestion to help with this would be VERY greatly appreciated...

Thanks, team.

12 REPLIES 12
jabbrwcky
Occasional Visitor

I have the same issue. MSM760 on 6.4 and MSM460s. Seems to take longer for it to happen with the new software but it still happens. Would greatly benefit from a scheduled reboot of APs.
Arimo
Respected Contributor

I'm not aware of any reason to perform regular resets. If something like this happens, you should contact support and let us have a look.

The only way to perform a regular reboot is scheduled configuration upload. Go to Maintenance / Config file management -tab and you can enable Scheduled operation - config backup or restore. This way you can boot the controller on daily or weekly basis at desired time.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

It may be more useful to think about controlling the POE port on the switch that the AP is connected to. You can disable/enable POE to that port to force a reset, or turn APs off at closing time and on at opening time. This can be done with IMC.

ilker areels
Occasional Visitor

"I'm not aware of any reason to perform regular resets."

There are various bugs exists in hp access points not fixed by hp for ages. Only solution is reboot for them.

"If something like this happens, you should contact support and let us have a look."

what if we don't have  support contract?

Arimo
Respected Contributor

I'm still not aware of any issues that would require regular reboots (for example weekly) on a properly implemented wireless.

If the controller is MSM720 or MSM775, there's no issue w/o contract - they have a lifetime free support and warranty. For other models I'd definitely recommend getting a SW support contract if you're experiencing some repetitive issues. Also devices purchased on or after Aug 1 2013 come with a SW support contract baked in the purchase price, length of which depends on the controller model.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
gary7857

Hi, 

I am also constantly having connectivity issues with MSM720 with MSM410s. Typically rebooting the APs works for a while until it goes dead again and requires another reboot.

Regards

YuriPaiva
Advisor

I Had the same problem with a MSM760 and 135 AP MSM310. I have 1 MSM560 and 1 MSM430 also.

Thurough the MSM760 console there no way to do schedule resets.

I made two schedule scripts in the Windows 2008 System using plink and ssh console.

The first scritp does a reset to factory defaults for each AP and the second one does the accept command for the same APs in the first one. This scripts runs CLI commands for this operations.

I was running firmware version 6.0, some of the APs went to radio status pending and high CPU when the number of users and wlan traffic increase during the operation time. So whe had to reset the APs to have a fresh start.

I did this two times a week.

YuriPaiva
Advisor

Other best practice to reduce the APs loosing connection is changing each subnet smaller.

We make each network /23 but the occupation of each one about 50% max due to broadcast traffic and to keep DHCP leases running free.

DHCP Lease time of 1:30hs. 

Paddyberger

Hi Yuvi

I have the same setup as yourself and was wondering if you are able to send me the scripts with instructions as I am having lots of problems trying to get this.

I basically want to create a script which will connect to each Ap form the MSM720 CLI and reboot them. 

This will be greatly appriciated