M and MSM Series
1752339 Members
5741 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: J9371A - controler asks for hp sales order number?

crunchsite
Occasional Visitor

J9371A - controler asks for hp sales order number?

We recently sold our customer a J9371A license upgrade and when they go to enter it into their controller they are asked for the "HP Sales Order Number".   They claim no such number appears on the certificate they were mailed.   Any idea what this is and how we would find it?

3 REPLIES 3
Arimo
Respected Contributor

I think your customer is doing something wrong.

What you should do is register the license in My Networking portal using the Reg ID and the HW ID of the controller. After this you just download a license file from the portal, and upload it to the controller. I've never seen it to request an order number or anything else during the upload process.

License management is described in the controller config guide under section Maintenance / Managing licenses.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
Amir2015

Hello Arimo, 

is there possibility to moving 4x J9371A licences? In case the customer has MSM760 and would like to purchase a new MSM760 controler as redudant. In case of failure they just transfer J9371A to redudant unit MSM760 and avoiding purchasing additional 4x J9371A licences. 

Best regards, 

Amir

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi Amir

Yes, there is, but not by yourself. You need to contact technical support to request a license transfer. We will need the MAC addresses of the old and new controllers to do that.

I would not recommend this. Let's assume customer has purchased a redundant controller, and the current one goes down. He needs to call support with the required MAC addresses and have the transfer done. Then he needs to upload a saved configuration to the redundant controller and put it to production network. There will be a downtime.

Much better way is to purchase the secondary controller, give it IP address (for LAN and Internet ports, which ever are in use) and the same default route as the current controller, then just simply enable teaming configuring the primary controller as a manager. The primary controller will configure the secondary one. If the primary controller goes down, the secondary one will assume team manager role, and APs will seamlessly migrate to that one. The licenses are shared, so there's no need for a license transfer until the replacement is in place. No downtime involved.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer