New Discussion юеВ

Re: J9401A - Dual Band antenna for MSM series

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maxxx
Frequent Advisor

J9401A - Dual Band antenna for MSM series

Hi,

I'm planning to operate 2 MSM422 inside a building in dual band 2,4GHz/5Ghz mode. 802.11n mimo should operate in the 5GHz band..

Now I'm looking for good quality antennas for 5GHz/Mimo as build quality seems to be far more critical for 5GHz antennas.. I already have some for 2,4GHz..

Does anyone know whether J9401A is the right choice for that and how many antennas ship with one order of J9401A?
Are they sold one by one, i.e. I'd need to order 3 of those for just one MSM422 unit?

I'm also unable to find any further info/datasheets about J9401A on hp's website..

Thank you very much, any help greatly appreciated ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS- This thread has been moved from Communication and Wireless to MSM Series- Forum Moderator

8 REPLIES 8
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

check this info from the managementand configuration guide:
>>> Guides for these antennas are available online at: www.hp.com/go/procurve/manuals. Under HP ProCurve MultiService Mobility (MSM) Wireless Products select MSM3xx4xx
Antenna and Power-Level Information. <<<
following the info on this link,
http://www.procurve.com/customercare/support/manuals/antennas.htm
this does not mention the antenna you specify.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-329290-64274-3836033-3836033-3836213-3836216.html

>>> The HP ProCurve Dual-Band Indoor Short Omnidirectional Antenna can be used with the MSM series of ProCurve access points. <<<

does not really give much positive info :-(
Maxxx
Frequent Advisor

Hi Pieter,

thanks for your answers!

Yes, there isn't any info about those antennas..

I'd really like to know which antennas I should use with 2 MSM422 on 3 separate floors for Mimo inside a building.. (preferably mountable on the ceilings)

However one of those antennas I found by klicking on the links you posted looks really, really nice..

J8997A:
E Plane 60├В┬░/ 58├В┬░
H Plane omnidirectional.. this looks like a hell of an antenna ;)

But again I think it's not really for Mimo as there are only 2 connectors and 2 Planes..

I've contacted HP presales support.. I really hope I'll get an answer this time, as 2 months ago I had another question and never got any response!

Thanks,

Max
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you are really lokking for Mimo,
I came accross this
http://h10152.www1.hp.com/documents/www/datasheets/h3c-wireless-3l-antenna-ds.pdf

Maxxx
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, this seems to be very nice.

Can't find this antenna for sale anywhere in Europe though :(
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

when looking, search for "3Com mimo antenna"
H3C is the name for 3Com acquired by HP.
Maxxx
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info about 3com.. 3com in europe though doesn't list any mimo antennas, except a 2dbi omni set consiting of 3 seperate antennas..

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks
Maxxx
Frequent Advisor

Another question: would you think 3 2dbi Antennas operating in 5GHz mode would improve coverage/signal strength compared to the integrated mimo antennas inside msm422?

Gain's not everything, but from the tech sheet of MSM422, the integrated antennas have more gain than 2db in >5Ghz mode..