1753287 Members
5429 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Losing access to network

shayatin
Occasional Visitor

Losing access to network

Hi, I have an MSM710, 10 APs, and about 80 users. 

I have a very odd situation.

A user can connect to an AP fine, but after a while (anywhere from 10 minutes to 4 hours) they will lose access to all network resources. No internet, no outlook, no TS, no DHCP, nothing.

Both the connection information on a laptop, and the connection information on the controller show the user as still connected. So they are not actually losing the wireless connection, just the network connection.

This happens to all users at the same time. The wired users are not affected.

Wireless users are authenticated by NPS / RADIUS. If a user attempts to reset their connection by disable / enable of their NIC, they will not receive an address from DHCP (ipconfig will show 169.254.x.x), but DHCP logs will show a succesful lease just granted. Also the RADIUS logs show recent authentication.

I'm very confused.

Thanks in advance.

152 REPLIES 152
ManiSundaram
Visitor

Hi

I also experience the same problem. Suddenly all wireless users traffic get slow / no traffic but the ssid is connected. I am using 5.5.1firmware with MSM710 and 4 MSM410 AP.

Thanks

Mani Sundaram

Dr-Q
Occasional Advisor

Same issue here. Flash the AP to V5.5.2.1_MR_V5.5.2.1_MSM422.cim. Client lost internet connection but AP web management shown client is connected. HP Support, please solve this asap.  

BCS-Tech
Occasional Visitor

We appear to be experiencing a similar situation.  We have a MSM760 Controller with 76 AP's (MSM410 & MSM460) across our compus.  Our users remain connected to the SSID but are unable to ping any resources on the network.  For us, disconnecting and reconnecting the client resolves the issue for a while, but it continues to happen.  I have not been able to pin-point a direct cause to the drop, it appears random.  Please advise.

BGraham_1
Frequent Advisor

We are also experiencing similar issues since we upgraded to 5.5.1 in April. We have 2 locations, each with a MSM765zl managing 55-75 APs.We are usig 802.1x authenticating for managing WPA2 Enterprise key management. Clients will connect and then some will show up with a self-assigned ip (169.254.x.x) after a while. It seems to localized to a few APs, but not eveery client on the AP has the problem. If I restart the AP, it clears the problem up for awhile. It seems to be a problem with APs that have the most traffic.

A friend of mine hs a similar situation with 2 different sites without any special authentication, just using WPA2-PSK.

MortenM
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

A client of mine had the same issues with clients disconnecting randomly, and getting 169.x.x.x addresses. They are using msm 760 and 12 access points (430). They have both dot1x and mac authenticated users.

I created a support case with HP, and got access to  5.5.1.4 software. That seemed to solve the issue regarding the 169.x.x.x addresses, but there still are some clients disconnecting randomly.

JvR_NM
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

We have the same issues with a MSM760, with 802.1x users. Sometimes losing network connection while the ssid is still connected. This is very random, sometimes my collegea loses connection while I'm still connected (same AP). I think the problems started with firmware 5.5.1.0 (old version we uesed was 5.4.1.0). Going back to this firmware loses a lot of new settings, so is not an good option.

I found some errors in the MSM760 every time a connection is lost:

Sep  7 17:22:09 err eapolserver  SG932ZV000 Error while removing vlan id:50 (RADIUS) (mac-address='00-74-00-2F-C2-AA').
Sep  7 17:22:09 err eapolserver  SG932ZV000 [vlan] <__CONFIG_UnRegisterVLAN>: VLAN (ID='1-4094', interface='pvw0') not found in VLAN table.
Sep  7 16:44:11 err eapolserver  SG932ZV000 Error while removing vlan id:50 (RADIUS) (mac-address='00-00-F0-03-93-92').
Sep  7 16:44:11 err eapolserver  SG932ZV000 [vlan] <__CONFIG_UnRegisterVLAN>: VLAN (ID='1-4094', interface='pvw0') not found in VLAN table.

Does anyone has the same erros ?

bkilgore

I have been also been told about this problem multiple times by one of my customers.  They are running a MSM460 with about 50 MSM410 APs.  I don't see the problem when I'm on site because it is so random.  We did a wipe and reload of the controller in May when school was out but now being told it is still happening.  We upgraded the controller to 5.4.2.61-01-9824 per HP support.  I'm concerned on why you guys are seeing this issue in higher versions.  I was thinking it was a client problem but not sure if that is true now.  Has anyone had any luck with this since ?

MortenM
Occasional Advisor

We are also seeing these errors:

Sep  9 11:02:35 err    eapolserver  CN16DWZ0GW Error while removing vlan id:14 (RADIUS) (mac-address='A0-88-B4-36-95-40').
Sep  9 11:02:35 err    eapolserver  CN16DWZ0GW [vlan] <__CONFIG_UnRegisterVLAN>: VLAN (ID='1-4094', interface='r2v1') not found in VLAN table.

Another noticable error we get is:

Sep  9 10:38:29 warning    eapolserver  CN16DWZ02T Unable to update Interim Traffic (mac-address='A0-88-B4-15-21-D8').

Software version on msm760: 5.5.2.14-01-10104

tschaps
Valued Contributor

Seeing similar issue here. I am just beginning a school rollout of about 80 MSM430's and 466's, as part of a full infrastructure upgrade, eventually with redundant controllers, but right now, I just have two configured in autonomous mode, four SSID's on three VLANs. Twice now we've had a room full of students working, and suddenly most of them have no network access -- the wifi is still connected, strong signal, IP address OK, but no IP traffic going through. It doesn't seem to 'recover,' either, until client is rebooted or put into sleep/standby mode and awakened.

HP, our admin will tell me to send back this $100k of HP equip and get Cisco back in here if this isn't resolved. Our vendor's engineers are coming tomorrow, and I'll let them deal with HP Support, but I am not sure the problem will happen when they are here! I don't think it's the network infrastructure, because the main MSM430 I've been tracking replaced an HP v-M200 configured the same way, so the switch port VLAN settings needed no changes, and we never had this issue with the V-M200.

I hope HP is paying attention to this one before it blows up.