6083 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Losing access to network

gglater
Regular Advisor

@brian1975 wrote:

I just upgraded 45 new MSM-460 units from v5.7.0.3 to v5.7.1.0-12379 and the problem still exists.  This sucks.

Can you please advise your support case number so that I can check on this?

Thank you.

--glen

MagnusL

This REALLY sucks. We have one MSM710 and five MSM410 (a very small and simple setup) and we have the problems as reported in this thread.

Randomly an AP will stop working, when restarted everything goes back to "normal". When the problem occurs the clients on that AP can't reach any servers or other resources on the network, they can however communicate with the MSM710 since the webinterface is still accessible.

I have tried different radio settings. I have tried three different firmwares.. So far, no luck. Any advice on settings?

Case number

Firmware is 

5.7.1.1-12533

Evan_ISS
Frequent Advisor

@MagnusL wrote:

This REALLY sucks. We have one MSM710 and five MSM410 (a very small and simple setup) and we have the problems as reported in this thread.

Randomly an AP will stop working, when restarted everything goes back to "normal". When the problem occurs the clients on that AP can't reach any servers or other resources on the network, they can however communicate with the MSM710 since the webinterface is still accessible.

I have tried different radio settings. I have tried three different firmwares.. So far, no luck. Any advice on settings?

Case number

Firmware is 

5.7.1.1-12533

We have found that some of the APs (MSM460s and less the MSM410s in our case) don't like DHCP protect and/or ARP protect.

This is mainly with older switches (2626 and 2650) so this might be something you can look into.

In our case the issue was originally firmware based and only occuring with the MSM410s (solved from 5.7.0.3 onwards) and then always occuring around DHCP (the client wouldn't get a lease after it had expired). After disabling DHCP Protect and ARP Protect in the older switches the issue was resolved. We eventually had to replace quite a few of these switches due to this issue alone.

Bear also in mind that the MSM series APs are very peculiar (for us at least) if there are any issues with the physical medium. We had a case where a AP was not working with a link/cable that otherwise passed all the tests. 3 months later the cable failed! We have identified quite a few cases where issues occured due to the quality of the cable.

Finally, if your clients can communicate with the controller but not any other resources you should look into the traffic termination settings on your controller and/or filtering. If traffic randomly stops at the controller then the issue is most definitely settings based and not firmware based.

Hope the above helps.

ipacharley
Visitor

Hello -

I have 6 E-MSM430's and 4 Cisco 1240AGs in a manufacturing environment. Most of our users have terminals on a forklift (IBM iSeries), in which they access database information from wirelessly. The coverage is suitable, but I have problems with users loosing connectivity. This morning a user was able to stay connected all shift with exception of when other users started coming in and connecting also. Normally I would think that there was a capacity issue on the amount of AP connections supported, but that is not the case here -- especially with this model being able to handle over 100 connections. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should start investigating and what I should check?

ishan
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I am also experiencing similar issues. I have 3 x MSM760's teamed together with 188 AP's. Some of them are MSM 460's but most of them are MSM 430's. In my case, wireless clients get really weak signals where they had a good coverage before. And on some areas clients are not getting an IP address from the DHCP, you have to go under the access points to get an IP even that does not work some times. I have scanned my spectrum using Meta Geeks - Wi Spy for interference and found noting. This is a hotel and that affects our business.

Firmware Version: 5.7.1.1-12533

HP Case ID: 4693960445

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

Did you try 5.7.2?

ishan
Occasional Advisor

As advised by HP I have upgraded to 5.7.2.0 today. Coverage has been increased. Clients get connected easily. Although I still have some clients experiencing issues when connecting.

Will update you after monitoring more for couple of days.

sjordet
Advisor

I have also been having all kind of troubles "forever" with this. But 5.7.2.0 seems ok so far. Been running it for a month, but don't dare to conclude yet that everything is good... :)
Nixlie

Same issue. MSM 710 and five MSM410.

Periodically stops responding.

Latest firmware - 5.7.2.0-12736

Wrote an email to support, waiting for reaction.

promask

I am also still seeing an issue with clients losing connection. I have upgraded the firmware to 5.7.2.0-sr2-12993. The problem is difficult to pinpoint because it is random- different APs, clients and time of day. Currently we have 54 MSM 460 being controlled by the MSM 760. I have e-mailed support and have not received a solution yet.