1748255 Members
3806 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Losing access to network

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

Re: Losing access to network

I upgraded from 5.7.0.1 to 5.7.0.3 and for now everything seems to work. Off course, it's still early for complaints.

Evan_ISS
Frequent Advisor

@JesseR wrote:

5.7.0.3 is not yet a public release. ...

5.7.0.3 has been available since the beginning of June I think via the Software Updates and Licencing portal if you have a valid SW Carepack.

Access it via the HPSC (HP Support Center) and use the linked Service Agreement ID (SAID) to identify your controller and find and download the relevant software.

If you haven't linked your Carepack in HPSC do so under My Support -> My Contracts and Warranties -> Link support agreements.

The issue for us was only related to the MSM410s (my firm manages 5 organisations that have HP wireless deployed) as MSM430s and MSM460s were only recently deployed and behave well.

The issue we think was related to "mixed" mode (e.g. g/n) not working in the MSM410 and we think it was due to the lack of Tx Protection for the series (legacy g clients were broadcasting unchecked) which was added to 5.7.0.2 released in January (they eventually removed it after it was discovered it bombed the MSM410 series, see below).

We upgraded and the APs worked well only to find out  that v5.7 introduced a previously resolved issue where MSM410s randomly stopped associating clients even though they were seen as fully operational by the controller (boot corruption as described by HP), which forced us to downgrade to 5.5.4 (back to G only on MSM410s, also the upstream proxy feature didn't work on that version).

We eventually got our hands at 5.7.02-fc51 (end of March 2012) and then 5.7.0.2-dc8 (mid May 2012) and now are on 5.7.0.3 and I can report that all is rosy in all 5 sites, apart from the fact that all this time they haven't fixed the issue of HTTPS traffic not being forwarded to the upstream proxy (if anyone knows why or a workaround please PM, I also have a Case open).

The point about logging all issues is valid as this is the way enterprise support (and any support for that matter) works. If they don' t know about it they won't fix it and the more organisations have the issue the more resources are going to be put behind it.

Hope the above helps.

gglater
Regular Advisor

Version 5.7.0.3 has been posted to the web.

--glen

Craig-Lyndes
Advisor

Upgraded to 5.7.0.3-MSM760-B11516 (as was available on the web) end of last week.  Upgrade went smoothly, No one is complaining. It is summer break here, 50 wireless users instead of 300+, so it will be a while before I can tell if the problem has gone away.

So far so good!  Thanks HP for addressing this issue!

Craig Lyndes

St Albans City School

agoncalves
Occasional Visitor

I think have the same problem, but only with 6 MSM410 n WW. Everything works fine and with no appearance of losing access to the network. No messages displayed on the AP´s or log errors. I have firmware = 5.7.0.2-01-10750, I think its the latest ( it came from factory like that ). It´s a configuration with 2 SSID: one WPA2 Radius ( external radius server with authentication ) and one WPA-TKIP. The RADIUS clients loses connection after a period of undetermined time. The WPA-TKIP clients are wi-fi PDA and Cell phones and we don´t know if they loses connection too. We are planning to install a MSM720 controller but I think that won´t solve the problem. Tell you later..

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

You should upgrade to 5.7.0.3. The version you are running has big connectivity issues.

rudynd75
Visitor

Did the software upgrade fix this for everyone else? We have similar issues with version 5.7.0.3-11516 and HP support told us that it was interference related and has nothing to do with the software. Not that there was any troubleshooting done on it, he just knew from the description. :)

Evan_ISS
Frequent Advisor

@rudynd75 wrote:

Did the software upgrade fix this for everyone else? We have similar issues with version 5.7.0.3-11516 and HP support told us that it was interference related and has nothing to do with the software. Not that there was any troubleshooting done on it, he just knew from the description. :)

5.7.1 is now available via the Software Updates and Licencing portal (see my previous post on procedures) or via Support, you might want to try that first.

Re HP Wireless Support, we make an effort to use it as less as possible, as our experiences have been mixed (to say the least).

brian1975

I just upgraded 45 new MSM-460 units from v5.7.0.3 to v5.7.1.0-12379 and the problem still exists.  This sucks.

Evan_ISS
Frequent Advisor

@brian1975 wrote:

I just upgraded 45 new MSM-460 units from v5.7.0.3 to v5.7.1.0-12379 and the problem still exists.  This sucks.

This issue was solved for us from 5.7.0.3 onwards in multiple sites (MSM760/710 controllers with combinations of MSM460/430/410 APs).

I don't know whether a more recent software would make any difference in your case but we have been told by L2/L3 (re another issue) that 5.7.2 is being developed with a view of a release this month (December). We already have a development build that we are testing.

Have you logged this with HP Support? I know it can be a painful process but it is the only way to escalate to L2/L3 and have them troubleshoot (and also get your hands on software before public release).