1752805 Members
5633 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Losing access to network

JesseR
Regular Advisor

Re: Losing access to network

Experiencing similar issues on an MSM760 with (25) or so MSM 422s.  Devices are typically all Macbooks or iPads.  I've seen when we get a lot of active connections on an AP (for example 40-65 client connections, half on the 2.4 radio and half on the 5 radio), that internet access becomes intermittent.  Client SNR's are still strong (20-35 SNR value)  and we never really see disconnects when looking at the logs/web interface on the MSM/AP itself.   Yet these seem to be losing their network connection...

Controller code is 5.5.3.0 at this time and considering upgrading to 5.7 (Procurve tech emailed me the code) but since the release notes aren't available I'm hesistant to do this....

All my 422 APs are set with a static channel on the 2.4 radio, (either 1, 6 or 11).  We do not use wireless security filters in the VSCs.  I'm seeing this on non-access controlled VSCs (can't verify whether it happens on the access-controlled VSC).

Can anyone verify a fix in 5.7 that's actually worked for them regarding loss of access?

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

ISoliman
Super Advisor

JesseR
Regular Advisor

So one of the things listed in the 5.7 Release Notes under "ISSUES" is:

"(Applies to MSM310, MSM320, MSM325, MSM335, MSM422.) Sometimes an Apple Mac

Book is unable to forward traffic to the external network even though the wireless signal is shown

as Excellent. Furthermore, the wireless driver may stop working. Either restart the AP or

re-synchronize it after a radio configuration change."

I'm guessing that means the issue is still an outstanding problem since its listed under ISSUES and not under FIXES?

I dont' see anything in the release notes that makes me think the problems experienced here in this thread were addressed in 5.7?  Unless I missed a specific line item entry in the Release Notes? 

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

Scott Farrand
Advisor

This seems to have been a problem for a while... (not sure if it was manifesting in 5.4 code, but it's seemed to have been an issue in all of the sub releases of 5.5.x code I've tried)...

At this point, it'd be very nice to have an option to reboot all ap's at the same time...

rsaeks
Occasional Advisor

From what it sounds like - the issue seems to be when the radios change configuration a restart is needed.  Does that mean if they are set to auto channel or power with an interval there will be an issue until that AP is restarted?

temuri426
Frequent Advisor

hello, 

my problem appeared again..  :(

clients are receiving ip addresses from dhcp server, but no l2, l3 conectivity..   In controllers log files are these errors : can't identify discovery port, this apppears several time, after rebooting WLS's everything works good. 

Is it possible that it maybe AP's problem ? because If controllers are in down state, clients must be capable to conect and browse without WLSs? 

Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

I would like to urge everyone that is experiencing this problem to open a case with HP support.

To quote a colleague who said it better than I can:

" The posts in this thread describe an issue which is clearly neither expected nor desireable behavior. If you are experiencing this issue, please log a case with HP Networking support. Sometimes, logging a case provides key data points or other information that speeds time to resolution. Other times, it might allow you to participate in verification of the fix. At the very least, logging a support case will ensure that you are notified when the fix is available (sometimes even before the fix is publicly posted).

No one likes to experience an issue that creates so much frustration - but calling support and partnering with us toward a resolution is win-win.

Best regards,

Lynn-Marie

HPN Global Support Engineering"

Also it would be helpful to know what the support case numbers are (even if the case has been opened earlier), so we can correlate the issues and compare. There might be different issues going on. If you are not comfortable posting the support case number in a public forum, feel free to send them in a private message to me, or email them to me at Kell.van.Daal@hp.com referencing this thread and your username.

Rest assured, we want this issue fixed as much as you do, but we need as much information as possible to make that happen. Opening a case with HP Support is the best way to get that done.

To log a case online, go to: https://h10145.www1.hp.com/help/help_questions.aspx?l2id=48&SelectedTab=3

To log a case over the phone, go to the following site to find the phone number for your country: https://h10145.www1.hp.com/help/Help_ContactInfo.aspx?cwp=2&SelectedTab=2

rsaeks
Occasional Advisor

I emailed HP support about this and have a case number: 7637982326.

alansev

My school are intending to buy an HP wireless solution. This thread raises issues for me. Could I ask if contributors think it's been resolved and if you consider HP wireless support to be good in general?
ISoliman
Super Advisor

Anybody getting errors similar to the below:

Feb 21 09:50:47 err  rpcd         CNXXXXXXX BRIDGE_add: BRCTL_ADD_BRIDGE returned -1

Feb 21 09:50:48 err  confighandl  CNXXXXXXXX Network IF ioctl error r1v1.1-4094, cfgerr:(100) syserr:(Network is down)

Feb 21 09:50:48 err  confighandl  CNXXXXXXXXX Network IF ioctl error r2v1.1-4094, cfgerr:(100) syserr:(Network is down)

Feb 21 09:50:49 err  eapolserver  CNXXXXXXXX Interface r1v2 doesn't exist

Feb 21 09:50:50 err  eapolserver  CNXXXXXXXX Interface r1v3 doesn't exist

Feb 21 09:50:59 err  eapolserver  Last message repeated 1 times

Feb 21 09:50:59 err  confighandl  CNXXXXXXXX Network IF ioctl error r1v3.1-4094, cfgerr:(100) syserr:(Network is down)

Feb 21 09:50:59 err  confighandl  CNXXXXXXXX Network IF ioctl error r2v3.1-4094, cfgerr:(100) syserr:(Network is down)

CNXXXXXXXX is the AP serial number which I have covered, to check these kind of logs you have to go to "Controlled AP" then got to "Tools" and from there you will be on the logs window, check the logs if facing the same logs then this might be the cause.

Please all check and let me know, make sure to check the logs after the issue of clients loosing connectivity happens.