108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Lost connection to all my AP's after upgrade to V5.5.2.1 from V5.3.1 MSM765

SOLVED
Go to solution
channel

Re: Lost connection to all my AP's after upgrade to V5.5.2.1 from V5.3.1 MSM765

Hi,

i have the same Problem (MSM760). Is there any solution (HP Support)?

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi there

The first thing you need to remember is that when you purchase an MSM the you are eligible to have the latest available software at the time of purchase, and maintenance releases for one year after this. This means that for one year you would be eligible to have updates for 5.3 -branch (i.e. you are eligible to have 5.3.2, 5.3.3, 5.3.4 etc) but upgrade to 5.4, 5.5 and so on requires purchasing a software Care Pack. This is detailed in Warranty Summary, http://h17007.www1.hp.com/docs/support/warranty/HPNetworkingProductWarrantySummary.pdf

5.5 was published 1 Feb 2011, and if your controller is running 5.3.1 it's most likely purchased before that date. This means that you might be eligible for 5.4 -branch, but not 5.5.

The second thing is that updating directly from 5.3 to 5.5 is like trying to update directly from Win95 to Win7. There are significant changes in the software and the configuration, which will cause your existing implementation to break. Your first step is to get the controller back to 5.3.1.

If you updated your controller to resolve a specific issue, I'd advise you to discuss with support about it. They should be able to help you resolve it.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
PRay

I had the similar error message in mine. During 5.3 I had played with Radius Server, and then decommissioned the Radius, this did not cause errors in 5.3 but upon upgrade to 5.5 was causing all sorts of Soap type errors.

Deleting any invalid Radius Profile(s), (I deleted all) resolved the issue for me.

Hope That Helps Someone,

Regards,

PRay

gtrsteve
Occasional Visitor

From the events, it seems like there's an authentication failure. Are you using RADIUS authentication for your APs in Controller\Controlled APs\Authentication? If so, have you tried deleting and recreating the RADIUS profile selected there and then doing a remove/rediscover of the APs? OR, try deselecting authentication and then remove/rediscover the APs.

Just some ideas. Hope this helps!

Steve

runner26
Occasional Visitor

any solution to this issue as I'm having the same issue and support doesn't seem to have an answer.

SFFKPS
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I had to go the hard way, factory reset after upgrading to latest  version 5.5.2.1, and entering all config manually.

I suggested for HP that they could use some resources in configuring the missing parameters I Web GUI on either v5.3 or v5.5, since the error log noted some missing parameters, but they where not willing to do that.

So I had to do the following:

1. Printscreen of all config from webgui from my old  V5.3.x, pasted with comments into word.
  2. Saved old config in case of rollback.
  3. Made an ACL on my nearest router to prevent AP's connecting to controller while working - important if you have routed connection, since configuring manually could cause AP's reading wrong config before you are ready to deploy, possibly loosing all AP's!!! 
  4. Upgrade to 5.5.2.1-01-10012
  5. Then reset to factory default
  6. Then entered all config manually from my documentation, only a few small differences in the versions.
  7. Removed ACL for one AP first, this upgraded and became stable, then the others, and all booted correctly and remained stable after this. Have been running for a week now.

Note that we have no Radius or firewall/access control setup on the controller, and no locally connected AP's (all are routed in the WAN). So my config was "relatively" simple to recreate.

Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

I've had similar trouble with msm765zl whilst upgrading from 5.3 to 5.4. Ended up corrupting the flash/hdd. Had to have replacement shipped out. And it happened twice!

The fix would have been "reset to default", but that option failed post upgrade, so it could not be fixed.

And a "reset to defaults" with upgrade and a restore of old version config also failed.

Now, as a rule of thumb, I "reset to defaults" before any major upgrade and reconfigure manually. I'm getting so used to it, I know the config in my head now. :P

The pain, oh the pain.

Btw, now running on 5.5.2.14 and the upgrade from 5.5.2.4 was error free.

Regards,

Steve.