108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MSC 5200 firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthonywoods
Occasional Advisor

MSC 5200 firmware update

Is it possible to upgrade an MSC 5200 to the latest firmware if the firmware is version.

Firmware version: 3.1.0.0-03-4074

7 REPLIES 7
Patrick R
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSC 5200 firmware update

This is a lagacy product in the HP mobility product named MSM730. From what i can see you have 5.3.1, you will need to get a software carepack to get the latest firmware. You can only only get a minor fixes update within the year after purchasing the product.

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

The MSM730 is supported in the newest 5.5 train release, but as Patricks says you probably have to buy carepack to get the firmware.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Anthonywoods
Occasional Advisor

It is definately not 5.3.1 firmware.  I wish.  This firmware is so old that I can not select an unsecure (non-certificate) guest page (my main issue)

This unit is 4 years or older (the date on the bottom on the screen is copyright dated 2005). I believe I have to update to v.4 first, then v.5 series in steps in order for it to take.  The question being this is a original Colubris Product, MSC-5200, whether HP has the older firmware on hand to upgrade from.  If not, I am wasting my money on a care pack.

Firmware version: 3.1.0.0-03-4074 Hardware revision: 55-01-0020-00:25

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

I can't say anything about the upgrade path, I think you have to turn to HP for that. But if you buy a carepack and get 5.5.2.14 or whatever is the newest you probably could wipe it, install 5.5.2.14 and manually configure it again from scratch. A little more work, but it will definately work.

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Anthonywoods
Occasional Advisor

By wiping it, you mean factory default through console? Or through the GUI?
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

I guess both will do it. A clean controller and upgrade to 5.5, then do all the config. You still would need the carepack to get 5.5 though, so when you got that open a case with HP and ask if there is a supported upgrade path. If not, wipe, upgrade and reinstall.

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Anthonywoods
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Per HP:

The software upgrade path for your controller will require a multi-stepped process. We must provide you with software versions 4.1, 5.0, 5.3, and then 5.5. You will reboot the controller after each step of the upgrade.