4780 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM-410 n access point antenna radiation pattern

temuri426
Frequent Advisor

MSM-410 n access point antenna radiation pattern

hello 

recently we purchased the msm-410 APs, in docmentation was written that  it has omnidirectional antennas, but after mounting on the wall i noticed that radiation pattern not exactly omnidirectional. the signal strength was too low in rear  side of the AP.   

can you please provide the radiation pattern of the msm-410 ap?

thanks ahead

5 REPLIES 5
DougB-CCCP
Frequent Advisor

Typically the radiation pattern is a donut shape horizontally around the access point if it were laying on a flat surface.  There is typically a conical radiation pattern off the top (logo side) and minimal radiation off the back (serial number side).  Check out Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnidirectional_antenna to see a graphic of the general theory of an omni antenna.

----------------
HP ASE (Mobility), Infrastructure Engineer
temuri426
Frequent Advisor

thank you for answer....

when i installed msm 410 , backside of the AP was minimal radiation almost nothing..  so if i mount it to the wall the radiation pattaern will be about 180 degree spreaded horizontally, from the front side of AP..,,

But if i mount MSM-410 on Ceilings , will i receive better results in coverage (almost 360 degree), is this type of mounting preferable?

thank you again

DougB-CCCP
Frequent Advisor

In my experience, yes.  I typically try to mount them on ceilings, HP logo side facing down.  That usually nets the best coverage.

----------------
HP ASE (Mobility), Infrastructure Engineer
temuri426
Frequent Advisor

regards

swu30
Occasional Visitor

Hi - Thanks for all of this info, I am having coverage problems with my MSM 410s and am trying to understand the antenna orientation and best practice on mounting them.

I understand from this thread that ceiling mounting, with logo facing down will give the most even radiation pattern and coverage. My question now has to do with ceiling height. How high of a ceiling is too high? I am in a school and some areas of our school have suspended ceilings, so those should be OK. Other areas do not and have an open ceiling that may be 20-50 ft high.

So what is the optimum height to be mounting a 410 to maintain the best signal strength for our users?

Many thanks!