6142 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM 460 as Client and AP

EoinKe
Occasional Visitor

MSM 460 as Client and AP

Hi,

Is it possible to run the MSM 460 as a client to another AP WLAN on 2 of it's antennae, and as an AP to a different WLAN with the other 2?

This is not a mesh configuration, I don't want to extend the WLAN running on the first AP.

Second WLAN to have a different WPA key, different SSID, but same IP address range as the original.

Is it possible to send DHCP requests back to the first AP using Relay?

EK

4 REPLIES 4
C0LDWiR3D
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSM 460 as Client and AP

You should be able to bridge the connection to the network with mesh and then provide different VSC/SSID on the other radio.

Z273
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Technically the MSM460 can do what you asked, i.e. client-mode and AP mode, however we don't support this "repeater" mode.

I know what you want todo, the dd-wrt has this kind of feature, I used the client-mode + AP mode on my old wrt54g 8-)

You should get home-user-wifi-router, put dd-wrt and look in dd-wrt forum, there is a guide of how to do that, I think on youtube you will find some tuto too.

Cheers.

EoinKe
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Z273, can you give me any guidance on how I could make it work on the 460?

I understand it's not a supported mode, but I'd still like to give it a shot.

Thanks

Z273
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I am sorry to say it is not possible for customer to do client mode on MSM460.  You need to get a secure shell access to the AP to configure the radio in client/station mode, this is near impossible unless you work for HP.

Again, if you do want client mode, HP has a product MSM501 which is a client-bridge device 802.11ac that you can use, but I do not think this is what you want.

Sorry to not able to help further.

In the mean time, enjoy your MSM460, it is one of the best-seller AP from HP 8-) , I'm a little bit bias as I'm part of the proud dev team that delivered that baby.

Cheers.