Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSM 460 as Client and AP

Highlighted
EoinKe
Occasional Visitor

MSM 460 as Client and AP

Hi,

Is it possible to run the MSM 460 as a client to another AP WLAN on 2 of it's antennae, and as an AP to a different WLAN with the other 2?

This is not a mesh configuration, I don't want to extend the WLAN running on the first AP.

Second WLAN to have a different WPA key, different SSID, but same IP address range as the original.

Is it possible to send DHCP requests back to the first AP using Relay?

EK

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
C0LDWiR3D
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSM 460 as Client and AP

You should be able to bridge the connection to the network with mesh and then provide different VSC/SSID on the other radio.

Highlighted
Z273
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Technically the MSM460 can do what you asked, i.e. client-mode and AP mode, however we don't support this "repeater" mode.

I know what you want todo, the dd-wrt has this kind of feature, I used the client-mode + AP mode on my old wrt54g 8-)

You should get home-user-wifi-router, put dd-wrt and look in dd-wrt forum, there is a guide of how to do that, I think on youtube you will find some tuto too.

Cheers.

Highlighted
EoinKe
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Z273, can you give me any guidance on how I could make it work on the 460?

I understand it's not a supported mode, but I'd still like to give it a shot.

Thanks

Highlighted
Z273
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I am sorry to say it is not possible for customer to do client mode on MSM460.  You need to get a secure shell access to the AP to configure the radio in client/station mode, this is near impossible unless you work for HP.

Again, if you do want client mode, HP has a product MSM501 which is a client-bridge device 802.11ac that you can use, but I do not think this is what you want.

Sorry to not able to help further.

In the mean time, enjoy your MSM460, it is one of the best-seller AP from HP 8-) , I'm a little bit bias as I'm part of the proud dev team that delivered that baby.

Cheers.