1752749 Members
4918 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM 710 Mobility and MSM 430/460 roaming with wpa2 (AES/CCMP) PSK

Seqteq
Occasional Contributor

MSM 710 Mobility and MSM 430/460 roaming with wpa2 (AES/CCMP) PSK

Hi, My current environment consists of 7 autonomous MSM430 and 1 autonomous MSM460 APs with the same SSID, WPA2 preshared key

Roaming between APs is bad, and since we heavily use RDP, the RDP connection goes grey until the new AP association occurs.

I got a MSM710 Mobility controller to test with, because in the product features was listed "Advanced fast roaming with VoWLAN support"

Now I cant tell with my 1 MSM430 and 1 MSM710 Mobility I have here at home if roaming will be seamless. And the fact that in VSC setup the fast roaming option is really opportunistic key caching, which is only available with WPA dynamic Key source (enterprise) makes me apprehensive.

Will the MSM710 mobility facilitate seamless (very fast, very fast RDP recovery) with a WPA2 PSK scheme?

5 REPLIES 5
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

@Seqteq wrote:

Hi, My current environment consists of 7 autonomous MSM430 and 1 autonomous MSM460 APs with the same SSID, WPA2 preshared key

Roaming between APs is bad, and since we heavily use RDP, the RDP connection goes grey until the new AP association occurs.

I got a MSM710 Mobility controller to test with, because in the product features was listed "Advanced fast roaming with VoWLAN support"

Now I cant tell with my 1 MSM430 and 1 MSM710 Mobility I have here at home if roaming will be seamless. And the fact that in VSC setup the fast roaming option is really opportunistic key caching, which is only available with WPA dynamic Key source (enterprise) makes me apprehensive.

Will the MSM710 mobility facilitate seamless (very fast, very fast RDP recovery) with a WPA2 PSK scheme?

Yeah, probably will. Mobility license is mainly for L3 roaming.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

ISoliman
Super Advisor

Have you done a site survay and sure that you have full coverage ? this might be coverage issue which is causing this bad roaming behavior, the L3 roaming is between different subnets which i cannot see it helping with you, do you have the APs in different subnets or same subnet ?

How did you configure the SSIDs ? make sure the "Security filter" is disabled unde the VSC as it will cause issues.

Seqteq
Occasional Contributor

The site survey showed coverage is very good, the AP's are fairly close together. APs are using non overlapping channels 40MHz on the 5ghz radio 1, the 2nd radio is disabled.

APs/clients are on the same subnet

security filter is disabled on the VSC

attached is a VSC config from one of the APs. Since these were cloned from a backup file, changing 

I did clone the APs from a backup config, changing system name, radio channel, IP address

ISoliman
Super Advisor

Everything seems fine, can you try a small thing, disable the WPA2 ecnryption and use open SSID and check if that make a difference in the roaming or not ? Or you can create another SSID with no security/encryption and try with 1 device and see the roaming

Seqteq
Occasional Contributor

Well, (fingers crossed) V5.7.1.1 seems to have fixed my problems. 

I arrived on site today to install this mobility controller, but I wanted to get a baseline. I had my test tablet with the intel 6205 adapter we use, and it had trouble roaming. 

I updated the APs to V5.7.1.1 and my issue went away. I didn't change any configs intentionally, (if the firmware did I do not know, but I did skim the release notes).

Now I can walk around the building and I can see my channel and signal strenth change when I jump to a new AP, and the RDP session I have up never flinches. 

I hope it behaves like this Monday morning. But I got it on video anyway