7581 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM 720/760 User Limitations

Mugen27
Occasional Visitor

MSM 720/760 User Limitations

Hello,

We have been looking at purchasing either the MSM 720/760.  I have attempted to look for information on the number of users supported by the controllers however I have found conflicting information.  Even when I contact my HP representative I believe I am receiving incorrect information.

Does anybody know how many users the two modesl can support?  The specs on the model state that the 720 can support up to 250 "Guest Access Users" and the 760 supports 1000 "Guess Access Users"  I believe additional licenses can be purchased to increase the limits.  However what I attempted to get clarifcation on was if there as a different between a regular user and a guest user and so far I haven't been able to find much.

This evening I was browsing and I found some more information that is adding to the confusion.

It states the following for the MSM 760

Simultaneous Users:  Unlimited

Simultaneous Guest User Access: 1000 expandle to 2000

Perhaps what I plan to implement may help you understand why I am confused:

Basically we have installations where number of devices range anywhere from 50 to 1200 wireless gaming units.  So the term "guest" is confusing me.  Is there a limitation difference between say corporate users and guest users?  I'm leaning towards the term guest - means guest - like a visitor to the office who needs internet access and corporate users are pretty much unlimited?  Am I wrong?

Any assistance appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Hi, the reason you might be seeing conflicting information is that this has been changed recently and is software dependent. MSM760 pre-5.7 had 1000 guest users per default, upgradable to 2000. In the 5.7 release the 'upgradable' was dropped and it supports the full 2000 guests from the start, and since the 720 comes with 5.7 default it also supports max guest users per default, 250.

But as you say, the term guest means really a guest; a guest in the MSM controller is a access-controlled user using the captive portal to login etc, and corporate users are pretty much unlimited.
---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Mugen27
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the information...

So basically in my scenario - I am not setting up any guest access, so I should not have any issues using either the 720 or 760 other then the numbers of AP's supported.

Would you by chance have any information or links on setting up the MSM controllers and AP's in an environment where there is dense client connectivity in a small area?

I.e. for example:

500 devices in a basketball court sized room?

Thanks again for clarifying the connection limitations - guest vs corporate

Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

No sorry.. I know other vendors have speciall models and antennas specially for this environments, but I haven't seen anything like that from HP.

But you probably could use say MSM466-E with some 3rd party targeted antennas and do the same thing, since what you'd want is alot of pretty small and sharp coverage zones to be able to handle the amount of clients properly.
---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S