5240 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM 760 Radius + Wireless N

shayh
Occasional Visitor

MSM 760 Radius + Wireless N

Hi Guys,

I'm currently setting up RADIUS authentication for one of my school clients. We have an MSM760 Controller with 18 MSM422 access points. I can only get clients connected with network access if I disable wireless N on the access points and then enable WEP with a dynamic key source.

Am I missing something or is it not possible to use 802.11n with 802.1x on the system?

5 REPLIES 5
JesseR
Regular Advisor

Re: MSM 760 Radius + Wireless N

Yes it's possible.  I have numerous 760 controllers using 802.1X with 422/430/460 APs.   Can you tell us more about your setup?  Are you using a Windows RADIUS server (IAS/NPS)?   Free RADIUS?  What type of 802.1X?   EAP-TLS?  PEAP?  Any specific errors you're getting?

J

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

shayh
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached pics of all the configuration that I think is relevant.

Basically when I connect a client to the Radius enabled VSC with 802.11n enabled on the 422 radios i get zero network access, including DHCP. Disabling 802.11n and enabling WEP with dynamic key source i get full access.

If I try and enable WEP with dynamic key source with 802.11n on radios i get the following:

"The VSC cannot be configured with WEP security because it is bound to a controlled AP group that contains MSM410 or MSM422 device(s) configured for 802.11n"

Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

According to the 802.11n draft, WEP is not available on speeds higher than 54Mbits. (I heard)

shayh
Occasional Visitor

Yep I'm aware of that, but what I have to figure out is how to get it working withough having WEP on.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

Try just WPA2 (not dynamic) and  make sure the rest of the environment is configured and running as expected (ie DHCP, VLAN assignments, etc).