4702 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM 760 upgrade help

Chaamaa
Occasional Advisor

MSM 760 upgrade help

Hi,

I have newly bought WLC and production WLC. Both are MSM760. Production WLC has firmware version 5.3 and new WLC upgraded to 6.4.

my plan is to team both of WLCs. So I will download a backup from production and install on new WLC.

Then poweroff old WLC and plug in new WLC with production configurations.

change the LAN IP on old WLC

configure Team on both of WLCs

connect to LAN

check teaming status.

Please advise will this plan work since this is my first time with HP WLCs. If I need to revert back WLC Firmware, how can I do that?

Is there any specific steps during upgrade and teaming?

thank you

Kind regards

C

4 REPLIES 4
Chaamaa
Occasional Advisor

At least can I know How to downgrade the firmware on MSM 760 please?

thank you

Kind regards

C

Arimo
Respected Contributor

There's a huge difference between 5.3 and 6.4, so I don't think a straight-forward configuration upload will work without problems. I would not downgrade either - 5.3 won't support new APs.

Here's how to get this done:

1. Boot up the new controller, provide it appropriate LAN and Internet port IP addresses, and Default route
-> the default route should point to LAN or Internet port IP range rather than a VLAN

2. Copy the old controller's configuration manually to new controller

3. Enable teaming on new controller, and configure it to be the manager

4. Restore old controller to factory default settings

5. Provide old controller appropriate LAN and Internet port IP addresses, and same Default route as new controller

6. Enable teaming on old controller

This way the new controller will become team manager. Once old controller connects, the manager will first force a FW upgrade, and once that's done it will re-configure the member, and the team will form.

The reason to point the Default route to LAN or Internet port IP range instead of a VLAN is simple. If you point it to a VLAN IP range, you will have to create that VLAN on the member controller before teaming, and provide correct IP interface for that VLAN. Once the member joins the team, the manager will wipe the complete configuration except for the LAN and Internet port IPs and Default route, and re-configure the member. If VLANs exist, they will be re-created, but the manager cannot provide IP addressing for them.

So if your manager's Default route points to a VLAN IP range, the member will not have an IP interface in that subnet and teaming will fail with error "Invalid route".

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
Chaamaa
Occasional Advisor

Arimo,

thanks for the reply. I have manage to create VSCs, Network profiles manually. But now I'm facing to new issue. Since teaming I have to remove VSC DHCP server from my one VSC. Since that I have created VSCs and Network profiles and Bind them with LAN port.

My LAN is on VLAN 100 on the switch. VSC A -> VLAN 10, and VSC B-> VLAN 20.  I have created two DHCP pools on switch as external DHCP servers for VSCs. But when I enable Access control on VSC clients cannot receive IP addresses from the external DHCP. But when I un tick "always tunnel client traffic" clients receiving IPs. But no web page for authentication even I checked web based login (use Local authentication).

I have created user and added VSC to associate with user. But same thing happen all the time. (As per system logs users connect to AP without any issue)

How can I get rid of this issue. I need help badly now.

thakn you

Kind regards

Chaamaa

Chaamaa
Occasional Advisor

I am using Vlan interface IPs as default gateways on each external DHCP.