1748180 Members
4205 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSM 765 is not automatically selecting channels that work

crm114
Occasional Contributor

MSM 765 is not automatically selecting channels that work

We have a dorm with 4 floors. Each floor has 6 access points about 50 feet from each other. The access points are approximately under each other on each floor.

We're using 422 n access points with 2 radios. the N radio is set for A/n radio 2 is b/g.

We've configured the controller to allow radio 2 to choose any channel and to dynamically change power.

The channel reconfiguration is set for 1 hour increments on radio 2.

this issue only concerns radio 2 and b/g

in the course of 24 hours all radios change channels. It doesn't seem that the controller is establishing a base line. The controller is not leaving some access points at their current channel and then changing channels on other access points, which I would expect if it was trying to implement a non-overlapping configuration. Instead all channels are changing on all access points every one or two hours.

There is some background noise provided by microwave ovens, but our statistics are gathered during the day when most students are on campus and the use of microwave ovens should be minimal.

I am attaching a spreadsheet with a sampling of channels used throughout the day.

9 REPLIES 9
ishan
Occasional Advisor

Re: MSM 765 is not automatically selecting channels that work

Im having the same exact problem with one of our customers. They have 116 MSM422 AP's in 17 floors and a MSM765zl controller. In some floors they are having this problem, controller is going crazy about channel assignment. This is affecting all the guests in that floor. Im gonna try updating the firmware to 5.5.2 tonight. Will let you know the results. Otherwise i have to assign all the channels manually which is annoying.
ishan
Occasional Advisor

Upgraded to 5.5.2.14.fg2-MSM765-B10329. Problem still exist. Going to update to 5.5.3. Will post the updates..

Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

I have same problem on 5.5.2.14. I've heard there may be relief in 5.5.3 - but I haven't tried it yet.

For now, the only stable way to select channels is manually - which is what I would suggest until they fix this.

Don't use auto-selection if you want correct non-overlapping coverage.

Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

Did you try 5.5.3 yet? There seems to be a few fixes regarding channel selection in the release notes.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

> Did you try 5.5.3 yet?

Me, not yet.

ishan
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting. Yes I have upgraded to 5.5.3 but no luck. Exclude all the channels except 1,6,11. Set the distance between AP's to medium. Also used 20Mhz instead of 20,40. Seems working so far. But this is serious problem. No explanation from HP yet. 

Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

I'm running 5.5.3 now, and channel selection seems to be working now. Not as perfect as doing it manually, but getting close.

This is with a mixture of 422 and 460 APs, with varied density layout. I've set the distance to small.

Stephen Swain
Frequent Advisor

Anyone know how to...

Run a System Tools script to just list the current controlled APs and their channel assignments.

Using the GUI is so slow to retrieve this information per AP. Something that should be a 5 second job takes forever.

Btw, The functionality of PSM+ in this regard is not great either.

ISoliman
Super Advisor

Stephen, Have you tried to go to "Controlled AP" then go to "Neighborhood" and export that list ?

Not sure if that what you are looking for.

Kind Regards,

Islam