4487 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM Deployment Scenario - How To Guide

JesseR
Regular Advisor

MSM Deployment Scenario - How To Guide

Hello...

Recently I put together a How To Guide for an MSM wireless deployment.   Thought I'd share this with others... It might help some of the newer MSM users understand how to better deploy/configure MSM wireless.    Please understand there are endless methods to setup an MSM wireless solution, this is but ONE of those solutions.   This scenario and configuration setup may or may not apply to your particular environment.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

http://www.sourceonetechnology.com/images/MSM_Setup-Rev0_4H.pdf

Regards,

JR

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

14 REPLIES 14
ljorg
Occasional Advisor

Great write-up.

You might consider changing the Private network from a pre-shared key to radius or ldap. One passord for all employees is rarely a good idea, as you never know exactly who has that password - including ex-employees and other non-employed personnel.

JesseR
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked it.

We normally do 802.1X EAP/TLS security deployments but, truth is, I was too lazy to document that in the guide, as it would have required a lot more time with documentation and screenshots, explaining how to setup a CA server, explaining how to automate deployment of certificates, explaining how to configure RADIUS, etc.   So I opted to document the more simple method, ;-).  Figured the majority of people opt for PSKs anyways.

Regards,

JR

Jesse R
HP Partner

GDC
Occasional Visitor

Very nice guide... without RADIUS / 802.11x though - couldn't you do all that without the controller? (albiet not as expandable if you add more AP's)...

Gandoy
Occasional Visitor

Hi, actually appreciate if you explain the 802.1x deployment. I am working on it and I have several troubles with the LDAP authentication. 

I am not using certifications so I am not asking you for document that part.

Thanks.

Toni.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor
Fleischen
Occasional Advisor

Re: 802.1x doco

Hi,

Thankyou very much for the Document! But I'm stuck and need some help when trying to authenticate I get this error message in the NPS server. Any Ideas?!

Logging Results:            Accounting information was written to the local log file.
    Reason Code:            23
    Reason:                An error occurred during the Network Policy Server use of the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP). Check EAP log files for EAP errors.

rafael18

hi

You know how to configure LDAP with MSM760

Thanks in advanced

YenLin
Frequent Advisor

Hi, We've got 4 MSM765 controller card in our environment. All of them are in the same vlan same segment.However,

we've got around 500 AP (MSM 317 & MSM 466) in our network and most of them are controlled by only 2 of the controllers.

1controller manage almost 200,  1 manage around 180, 1 mange 100 and rest one just manage only 1 at the moment.

Is there any method to set AP's priority? to get the balance of the controllers' effort?

JesseR
Regular Advisor

Bumping this for others....
If you have questions about the guide, let me know. I've since been doing some different configuration options using APs over Layer 3 and using External DHCP servers for the various VSCs.
Jesse R
HP Partner