1753725 Members
4459 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM controller rebooting

JesseR
Regular Advisor

MSM controller rebooting

Been fighting this for weeks now...  MSM 760 controller that continually seems to restart on its own.  Have a case open with HP on it, escalated to level 2, still no resolution.  Unsure when the problem actually started occuring, but we know it's been happening since at least early-mid Janurary.  That was when we setup a syslog server and began noticing this.  It very well MAY have been happening before mid January, we just don't have any syslogs prior, or proof of the reboots. The MSM controller has about 25-30 422 APs, and 1 430 AP.  The reboots happen quickly enough that it doesn't usually result in helpdesk tickets or user complaint.

In late December the MSM controller was upgraded from 5.5.3 to 5.7.0.0

In early January we added a single MSM 430 AP to the environment.

In early Feburary we upgraded the controller from 5.7.0.0 to 5.7.0.2

There is nothing in the syslogs showing anything as to a reason for the reboots.

We have replaced the MSM controller itself (warranty replacement), the 2 patch cables, and the 1 power cable.  We have made sure the unit is plugged into a UPS unit that is not being reported as going from AC to DC power.  We have done a complete factory reset of the controller and re-loaded the configuration by hand.  We have unplugged the single MSM430 that we added in early January.  We have even moved the iPort and LAN port from a 5406 chassis to a E2520 chassis.  So far, we still continue to get reboots as much as 4-5 times a day on the controller.

I am likely now going to back-rev the controller to 5.5.3 and manually re-do the configuration all over again as the next test.... if that doesn't fix it, we may start turning off APs in bunches, to see if a single AP is causing a controller reset?

Totally stumped here. 

Syslogs from the controller (even the debug logs) and the HP switches show NOTHING prior to the restart that clues us in to the problem.

HP is wondering if something on the network itself is causing the MSM to restart, but what that could be, who knows, and who knows why?

Any wild ideas here?

J

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

7 REPLIES 7
JesseR
Regular Advisor

Been running on the back-revved 5.5.3 now for 1 day, 15 hours... so far, no reboots for the controller.   Leading me to believe the 5.7.0.0 and 5.7.0.2 code was causing the firmware...  Will wait awhile longer to be sure.

Jesse R
HP Partner

Rajendra Thuvarakan
Regular Visitor

I have got 12 MSM 760 CONTROLLERS in various sites I had the same problem but now has been solve

1) When you are upgrading the firmware version you have to do step by step
Say you are running 5.3.3 you can’t straight way to upgrade to 5.7.0
In between you have got 5.5.4 ….. versions . you have to go in the version order to upgrade.

2) When you take an backup of your controller on 5.3.3 you can’t restore it to 5.7.0 this will also cause your controller to restart when I did it was re booting every 15 to 21 minutes (hp tech support won’t admit this) .but when I reconfigure the MSM 760 from the scratch with new firmware I didn’t have any problem it stopped rebooting.

JesseR
Regular Advisor

With the 5.5.3 and 5.5.4 code, I have not seen controller reboots at all like I did with the 5.7.0.0 and 5.7.0.2 code.

For me, it had nothing to do with backing up/restoring the configuration.  Even when I did a factory reset on 5.7.0.2 and put all my wireless configuration back in from scratch, i still had reboot problems.

Jesse R
HP Partner

JesseR
Regular Advisor

Still fighting this on 5.7.0.x firmware.  MSM 760s just reboot on their own.  I've also seen where the Internet Port (port 1) will lock up and the Link-Light on it goes off.  When that happens, it also requires a reboot of the controller before it'll work again...  Still no fix from HP on this.  Have seen this on more than one controller....  Anyone else care to chime in here? 

Jesse R
HP Partner

david-rivas
Occasional Advisor

I have the same issue on a MSM765xl and MSM760. It reboots every hour aproximately. 

JesseR
Regular Advisor

Please contact me, jrink@sourceonetechnology.com.   I can try to get your case added to my level-3 escalation already.  I am working with HP support almost hourly on this.  Email me your contact info too if you would.  The more input we have,the more likely to get it fixed.  thanks!

Jesse R
HP Partner

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

It would be helpful if you could provide your HP Case ID.

If David has not yet logged a case, he should do so and provide support with a reference to your Case ID.

"Adding it" to your case with L3 does not make it more likely to get fixed - if it is a bug it definitely will get fixed!

Please keep in mind that we've got very little information about David's issue, and it is vital that this gets investigated properly in a separate case. Sometimes issues may seem to be the same but actually have a different root cause, and fixing one issue doesn't fix the other.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo