108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSM310 with 8dbi Omni antenna - huge latency

SOLVED
Go to solution
nsnidanko
Occasional Advisor

MSM310 with 8dbi Omni antenna - huge latency

We have MSM310 (J9379B) which works good but default 2dbi antennas just do not offer the coverage. We purchased 8 dBi Outdoor Omnidirectional Antenna (J8444A) but after connecting we started experiencing extremely high latency (it increased 10 times from what it was with 2dbi), even though receiver is located directly under the antenna.

Is there something required to be adjusted on the MSM?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
DougB-CCCP
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSM310 with 8dbi Omni antenna - huge latency

My first thought would be to turn down the power on the radio and see if the latency improves. Say 25% - to 14dB.

You didn't specify the environment you're working with either which would be helpful; outdoor, indoor, dense, sparse, etc.

----------------
HP ASE (Mobility), Infrastructure Engineer
nsnidanko
Occasional Advisor

We found a problem where profile was set for 2dbi. After changing it to 8db latency dropped from 2000ms to 30-150ms. Latency is very inconsistentтАж As for the environment: it is installed in the middle, on the celling of the huge repair shop. I tried putting antenna horizontally and vertically but it doesnтАЩt make a difference.  There is no direct line of sight between antenna and clients as there are a lot of obstacles. Is it normal or dropping power should help?

Thank you.

DougB-CCCP
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I'm going to just assume that the walls are a corrugated sheet-metal or some other reflective type of material - if that is the case, dropping the power may help.  You may have excessive reflections of the signal, basically bouncing around the shop causing these issues.  Do you have a lot of errors on the radio interface?

----------------
HP ASE (Mobility), Infrastructure Engineer
nsnidanko
Occasional Advisor

Just to follow up issue got fixed and latency is back to 3-4 ms

Thank you

JesseR
Regular Advisor

and you fixed it.... how?
Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

nsnidanko
Occasional Advisor

My apologies i thought marking post as a solution explains what was changed. Dropping the output power as suggested, since both ceiling and walls are made of reflective materials, was our fix.