108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM313/MSC5200 LAN Speed issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anthonywoods
Occasional Advisor

MSM313/MSC5200 LAN Speed issues

I am having problems with my wireless network. 

I have tried two different controllers.

MSM313 and MSC5200 both have similar issues.

I have a 50mb/s internet connection on the WAN port.  When I test through the LAN port of either unit, I am only getting 12-15mb of throughput.

Here is my issue with this.

I have 5 satellite AP's feeding off this LAN port (through a 10/100 switch).  I have verified through the controller the port is set up for 100 FULL duplex.  But I am not getting the full access to the 50mb of internet.

Any ideas?  There is no bandwidth limitation set on. and at the time of the testing, there were no other clients but myself.  I was connected directly to the switch (in line with the APs.

Everything is running on VLAN0

4 REPLIES 4
wifiqos
Occasional Advisor

I have operated the MSC5200 at over 30mb - so it is possible - never had the pleasure of a faster link.  I have also seen 22 mb on a MSM313  connected to a uVerse connection.

So - that leaves a few ideas.  What speed test are you using?  What fw version?  We usually test with iPerf - but that is a WAN side test only.  But - you could put a MSM310 on the WAN side and on the LAN side of the MSM313/MSM730 and run iPerf across the controller to eliminate effects of the ISP on the WAN.

I assume that if you put your test laptop on the WAN connection you get the 50mb you expect.  Some older fw had performance issues, and if there are a lot of ACL rules the box does slow down.  We could look at the system remotely and give you some tips also.

Good Luck

Murray

wifiqos

Anthonywoods
Occasional Advisor

I am the ISP, so it is nice to have the higher speeds for my client.

I did a little more testing to find out that if I "Uncheck" the "Internet port data rate limits" under bandwidth control, then the LAN port speed is limited to 12-15mb.  Sounds stupid, but it did limit it.  If I set the "Internet port data rate limits" to the proper lmited speeds and check  the box then the speeds work correctly. 

This brings up some more questions.

Now that I am forced to use the bandwidth control level definitions (which I did not want regulation on).  What priority is the traffic that is aggregated between the MSM (router/ap) and WAP units?

If the Normal Level of bandwidth level definitions is set to 70%, is this a per User setting or a aggregate network setting for Normal level traffic?

MSM313 firmware:

Software version:

5.2.6.2-01-7148

Is there a newer better firmware for this unit?

Anthonywoods
Occasional Advisor

An update..

The 5200 controller (older firmware) worked great at full speed when checking the Internet Port Data Rate Limits, I can get 45-50mb each time.

However two NEWER MSM313 units, when set up the exact same way, limited the wired (LAN PORT) connection to only 10MB/s.  When unchecked the port went to 12mb/s... ??????  I tried two simultaneous laptops through a switch and got around 5mb/s each when simultaneously testing.  There is a real issue here.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Anthonywoods
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Per HP:

The MSM313 is only hardware capable of 12mb TCP and 17mb UDP traffic off the 100mb ports (in a lab).  There is no software upgrade that can be performed on this series to increase the wired speed.