1752762 Members
4948 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM410 / J9427B - How to upgrade firmware

Mikexx
Occasional Advisor

MSM410 / J9427B - How to upgrade firmware

I recently acquired the Wireless access point.

The current firmware version is 5.7.0.2-01-10750 which I understand is 2011.

How do I update this firmware, I understand the most recent is something like V6.6.9.0

9 REPLIES 9
drk787
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please find link to download the firmware for this Access point, hope its a standanone AP.

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J9427B

Release notes in this link will have the procedure to upgrade the firmware.

Please note that it may not be a direct upgrade from existing verion to the latest, read the release notes for upgrade restrictions.

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Mikexx
Occasional Advisor

@drk787 wrote:

Hi,

Please find link to download the firmware for this Access point, hope its a standanone AP.

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J9427B

Release notes in this link will have the procedure to upgrade the firmware.

Please note that it may not be a direct upgrade from existing verion to the latest, read the release notes for upgrade restrictions.

Many thanks for the link.

However after trying to download the firmware, logging in and entering the item serial number I get the following message:

"Software Updates Download Access
Our records indicate your entitlement period to download this software has expired.
"

So I am back to square one.

drk787
HPE Pro

Hi,

I think you need to have a support contract to download the software.

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Mikexx
Occasional Advisor

@drk787 wrote:

Hi,

I think you need to have a support contract to download the software.

How do I do that and how much does this cost?

This unit is only capable of 300Mbits/s which is no no longer cuirrent technology. A new TP-Link I purchased for £50 is capable of 1,750Mbits/s and pessimistic if HP genuinely support older units.

Many thanks.

UCRico
Occasional Visitor

If you make an HPE account and try using the serial # of the device, it will only allow one to dowload the firmware that was allowed during the "entitlement" period for that AP.  I tried with one I have and received the "entitlement period" expired message for the newest firmware, but if I tried to download the firmware that was older like within a year of mfg date it allowed it.  Takes a little trial and error to find the latest firmware allowed.  Otherwise a support contract is required.  But it is pretty well known that the MSM410 units were among the worst made of this series and not just for rated speed.  They can work for light duty, but just about any other AP in the series is better.  An MSM430, MSM460, or HP 560 are all good.  Comparing a business class HP AP to a consumer TP-Link, well that's a crap shoot.

UCRico
Occasional Visitor

Support agreement part numbers can be found here by entering a serial number:

http://ssc.hpe.com/portal/site/ssc/

I tried it for an MSM460 and the lowest priced agreement was $47 retail (might do better running the part number through google for price checks with other vendors).

Mikexx
Occasional Advisor

@UCRico wrote:

If you make an HPE account and try using the serial # of the device, it will only allow one to dowload the firmware that was allowed during the "entitlement" period for that AP.  I tried with one I have and received the "entitlement period" expired message for the newest firmware, but if I tried to download the firmware that was older like within a year of mfg date it allowed it.  Takes a little trial and error to find the latest firmware allowed.  Otherwise a support contract is required.  But it is pretty well known that the MSM410 units were among the worst made of this series and not just for rated speed.  They can work for light duty, but just about any other AP in the series is better.  An MSM430, MSM460, or HP 560 are all good.  Comparing a business class HP AP to a consumer TP-Link, well that's a crap shoot.

Many thanks for the idea. I will try to go over various ages of firmware to home in on the most recent I can download.

I wasn't intending a 'crap shoot'. I bought a TP_Link bridge for £42+VAT that has Gigabit ethernet and 1750mbps on dual wavebands. That makes this HP unit archaic in comparison where it seems any recent update, that I was expecting to be free, will cost most than my new TP-Link. All the HP MSM410 / J9427B can do is 300mbps.

You may be falling into the trap where you expect business oriented equipment is more expensive, but that it very shortsighted if the cheap consumer oriented unit is easy to setup and is reliable.

Mikexx
Occasional Advisor

@UCRico wrote:

Support agreement part numbers can be found here by entering a serial number:

http://ssc.hpe.com/portal/site/ssc/

I tried it for an MSM460 and the lowest priced agreement was $47 retail (might do better running the part number through google for price checks with other vendors).

I entered my product details and got:

Support Services Central

No HPE Support Services were found for your selection.

Please use the following tips to identify the valid product number:

• Use the product number appearing on your invoice or service tag.

• Product numbers with "AV" will need the warranty reference, also ending with "AV" and appearing on your invoice or in the service tag on the back of your PC.

• Please remove any localisation or feature code like #ABA from your product number.

Product Selected:  [J9427B]

Mikexx
Occasional Advisor

@UCRico wrote:

It seems the version I already have, namely 5.7.0.2 seems the most recent version I can download.

If I try and download the following version:

9427B HP MSM410 Access Point (WW)
Software: HP MSM Software Release V5.7.0.3 (Previous ReleasesAll software for this product
    Serial number / Install ID: ------- Purchase date: 08-Jun-2012

Some 7 years old, I still get:

Software Updates Download Access
Our records indicate your entitlement period to download this software has expired

As someone said here HP products don't compare with noddy companies like TP_Link.

Sheesh