M and MSM Series
1752806 Members
5963 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSM410 VLAN problem

MSM410 VLAN problem

I have a problem with trying to create a VLAN with MSM410. I'm using the AP in autonomous mode.

Before, I had already created a VLAN (2) for guest access. That VLAN works fine.

But then, I wanted to create another VLAN for WiFi phones. All I did was go into Network - Add New VLAN, gave it ID 3, and then went into the phones' VSC, and set Egress VLAN to 3.

Immediately, when I set the Egress VLAN, the connection drops.

I used the exact same procedure for the guest network, and like I said, that one is working as it should.

I also have a third VSC, which does not have a VLAN associated with it. That one works too.

I've done enough troubleshooting that I know it's not the switch where the MSM410 is connected to. Even if I plug the WiFi phones' card directly to the MSM 410, bypassing the switch, I still don't get any access.

Could the problem be with Network-Port 1 settings? Right now I have VLAN ID box unchecked. As well as the two other boxes.

What throws me off though is that the guest VLAN does work, even though this setting is unchecked. I tried enabling this setting and entering a value 1-3 in the box, but all I got out of that was not being able to access the configuration... Plus it didn't solve the problem.

Hope I was clear enough with the description. Any ideas? Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

did you tag the port the connects this AP on the switch for these vlans ?
Jouni Kosonen
Advisor

Hi Mikko,

Could you tell us what VLANS you have tagged/untagged in that switch port where your MSM410 is connected?

"Even if I plug the WiFi phones' card directly to the MSM 410, bypassing the switch, I still don't get any access. "

By saying "I still don't get any access" do you mean that you are associated with the AP but not able to connect to your wired network or the client doesnt even want to associate with that VSC?

"Could the problem be with Network-Port 1 settings? Right now I have VLAN ID box unchecked. As well as the two other boxes.

What throws me off though is that the guest VLAN does work, even though this setting is unchecked. I tried enabling this setting and entering a value 1-3 in the box, but all I got out of that was not being able to access the configuration... Plus it didn't solve the problem."

That setting in the port-1 defines the default VLAN ID for that port. All outgoing traffic that does not have a VLAN already assigned to it, is sent on this VLAN (like traffic from your third VSC that doesnt have any egress VLAN's configured).

Kind regards,

Jouni Kosonen

When I switch the Egress VLAN, the client stays connected to the AP, but no data is transferred.

The switch where the MSM410 connects to, I have the port tagged for VLANs 2 and 3, and untagged for VLAN 1.

Same goes to the ports where the traffic is then forwarded to.

It's a tough one, but I'm leaning towards that I have a setting misconfigured in the switch...
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

in the VSC settings there is an option called Wireless security filters, uncheck this and check after that
Shadow13
Respected Contributor

i mean uncheck this option then chech the status :)