8168 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSM410WW (J9427B) with existing Procurve Wireless Edge Services ZL module

ryansumm2
Visitor

MSM410WW (J9427B) with existing Procurve Wireless Edge Services ZL module

Morning Guys,

Wondering if someone can advise we have an existing Procurve Wireless Edge Services ZL module supporting 78 Procurve Radio Ports 210 - we are looking to replace these and have been told the MSM410WW is a good newer replacement product.

As a trial we have ordered 2 of these expecting to just plug into our network and autoconfigure, however this is not the case - the MSM just flashes the front leds in sequence and looking at our Procurve Wireless Edge manager no new wireless points have been found - if we plug the existing radio port 210 back into the same socket all is working.

Im not sure where to go from here , any advice would be greatly appricated as i cant find anything under the manuals

Many thanks Ryan

5 REPLIES 5
Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

The current MSM line are not compatible with the old end of life WES/Radio Ports line. You'll need to also buy a new MSM controller; MSM760, or 765zl if you have 5400zl or 8200zl chassis, for the MSM410 APs. MSM APs wont work with the WES controller and Radio Port APs wont work with the MSM controller, as they are completely different.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

ryansumm2
Visitor

Many thanks for the reply Fredrik - you have asndwered what i could not find on hp's website, do you see a problem with the old zl wireless module (only controling the old radio 210's) and the new 765wl working together (only controling the new msm series) in the same 5400zl ?

would you know if licences can be trasnfered over or again is this a new buy..

once again many thanks

Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

I haven't done so myself, but I cannot really see any problem with the WES and 765zl in the same chassis.. 'wrong' AP wont connect to 'wrong' controller since they are not supported on eachother.

I'm pretty sure that licenses cant be directly transfered between them, but you'll have to talk to your AM or VAR of you can get discount on the new licenses via a trade-in or the like.
---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

No problems having the MSM and WESM products in the same chassis. Quite a few sites going through transition do that.

There is no licence transfer.

During transition, you could potentially use the WESM wireless ports to provide WiFi in non-transitioned areas, with the VLAN output going into the ingress VLAN of an MSM access-controlled VSC (eg like "third party APs").

ryansumm2
Visitor

Many thanks for the reply Richard, much appricated