1752275 Members
5043 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM422 external antennas

enl
Occasional Contributor

MSM422 external antennas

I am pretty new in wireless LAN and hope anybody could give guidance/answers to my queries.

We would be using MSM422 dual radio AP, it has the option of using external antennas, 3 antennas for radio 1 and 1 for radio 2. My question would be, if we use external antennas for radio 1, do we need to have three external antennas connected to radio 1 to benefit from this setup? what if we just use 2 antennas on for radio 1 on ports B & C, will we have lesser transmit power and receive sensitivity for radio 1?

Will the AP performance be degraded if we set both radios to b/g?

Can APs be group and have just one channel?

Need your expert advise. Thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum) to MSM Series. -HP Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Re: MSM422 external antennas

>>> do we need to have three external antennas connected to radio 1 to benefit from this setup?
=> No; if you search for antanna-options for this MSM, you will find the two-antanna-option(s).

>>> what if we just use 2 antennas on for radio 1 on ports B & C, will we have lesser transmit power
=> no Rf power is the same,
multiple ntanna's are used for "diversity" technique.
>>> and receive sensitivity for radio 1?
=> Yes, This diversity technique is a way to
make the antenna's "directional sensitive" (per RF-client), so the three-antenna setup is (supposed/designed to be) more sensitive.
But then again external antenna's are more flexible to setup. So this setup can be more sensitive then using built-in antenna's.

It will be hard to be predicted the result in advance.

look at doc's in this link
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/customercare/support/manuals/antennas.htm