108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM430 APs getting IPs in random VLANs

SOLVED
Go to solution
tschaps
Valued Contributor

MSM430 APs getting IPs in random VLANs

Have a bunch of MSM430s and an MSM765zl controller, five VSCs, none access controlled, and everything works well, but I would like to set up Nagios for the APs to tell me when one goes down, but they get IPs randomly in the different VLANs/subnets. I have external DHCP servers in the different VLANs (not from the controller) and I do not need DHCP helper, but clients connected to the first VLAN/subnet don't get an IP address unless DHCP relay agent is configured. Only using LAN port, not internet port. That first VSC/subnet is an untagged VLAN.

While writing this I notice that in the DHCP relay settings, I can choose to listen for requests on LAN port and Client data tunnel, and both are check-marked. Is that causing the problem? I obviously want DHCP requests from wireless clients on various VLANs to be passed to the LAN and DHCP servers, but I don't want the AP itself to get an IP on anything but the main untagged VLAN (which is a limited access Admin VLAN that needs connectivity).

Did I provide enough information? I may understand all this someday...

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
IRO
Advisor
Solution

You can provision the APs to use your desired VLAN for connectivity. You can also set "No VLAN" to use  your untagged (native) VLAN.

Unless you set it up, the APs will try all the VLANs available on their switchport.

Read the "Working with controlled APs/Provisioning APs" chapter in your controller's manual.

And good luck with understanding HP's logic :)

tschaps
Valued Contributor

aha, thanks! I didn't think provisioning was useful in our scenario, so I missed that completely. Still not sure how it will work, but I see the menu options now. 

T