1753477 Members
5194 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSM430

Juggyv
Occasional Advisor

MSM430

Hello, I have a MSM430 that boots up, gets an IP address assigned to it and then it gets no further.  The AP are all on the same subnet as the controller and I have reset the configuration but it does the same.  I have tried other MSM430s and these behave fine, both new and from another implementation it is just this one.  I can ping the IP it is assigned but I cannot browse to it via http or https or telnet and the HP console cable and a straight through and cisco console cable all do not gain me access to the console.

My question is am I wasting time here trying to fix this and should I just get it swapped out?  I beleive it was working under a previous version 5.3 and after I upgraded to 5.7 this stopped.

Any help appreciated

15 REPLIES 15
Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

call support, that should do it.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
Ck1000
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

You must downgrade your version of firmware.

5.7.0.2 has been deleted from HP Software Updates page... No communication from HP to this customers..

The support is useless in this case.

I don't understand why... 

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

Please note - can't access the web interface. To downgrade that's needs to be possible. There's a trick how the AP can be retrieved when HTTP isn't accessible, but only we at support can provide the necessary recovery firmware.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
Juggyv
Occasional Advisor

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I have downgraded the controller firmware to see if an older one picks up this AP but to no avail.  I have tried numerous console cables but get nothing on the screen, I think it has different pinouts but I cannot find a part number for this cable and I do not see why I should have to try to make one.  The AP gets an IP address, I see this on the controller then nothing else.  I cannot telnet to the AP, I cannot SSH or http or https to the controller.  To top it off, I have raised a call with HP who are insisting I provide them with logs for an AP I cannot get access to!  I have factory reset it away from the DHCP server also and tried it on 192.168.1.1 and it still does the same.  

I know the controller works as other APs work, this one just does not want to play ball.  Any help would be great, especially with the darn console cable so I can keep the powers at HP happy,

Juggyv
Occasional Advisor

Just some more info, I made the console cable exactly how the manual said it should be made but to no avail.  I tried an MSR30 cable and I got the below output but no more.  I have tried this on working an non working APs which makes me think the MSM430 has to be either enabled or booted into.  

The SSH to a new AP works fine as does the access of 192.168.1.1 from the web portal, the one with a problem doesnt even get this far.  I hope is is a dud as its starting to drive me crazy.

setup_arch: bootmem

mpc85xx_rdb_setup_arch()

arch: exit

RudyW
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same problemw with a new MSM710 controller and 5 MSM430 APs. Were you able to resolve your issue?

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

As discussed above, the AP firmware must be recovered in some kind of tftp mode.

This requires holding the reset of the AP a long time (fast blinking), which enables the tftp server on the AP. From a remote station, you can then upload the recovery image to the AP.

This is a special image however, which only HP support can give you.

So you have to log a call with support for this ...

Best regards,Peter

Sanjaypal
Occasional Visitor

Re: MSM460

Hi, I Have received a new AP MSM460 from HP on place of faulty. I ,m facing two issue in this AP. 1st is after configuring.  I restarted then its not ping or not going to default IP.

2nd: I have coneteced this AP by console then i,m getting a error while AP reboot.

Error is --------

setup_arch: bootmem
mpc85xx_rdb_setup_arch()
arch: exit

Pls suggest what i will do..................

Sanjay Pal

RudyW
Occasional Advisor

Re: MSM460

Hello:

It is possible that you need to tell the AP to perform a factory default reset. 

1. Use a pen or unfolded paperclip for the reset button.

2. Unplug the AP.

3. While pressing down the reset button plug in the AP.

4. Keep holding the reset button until the lights blink three times.

5. Release the button.

If the AP needs to download new firmware, it will take about 5 minutes. (Assuming the AP can find the controller via the DHCP or DNS methods.)