Occasional Advisor

MSM460-WW and H3C WX5004 controller

11 REPLIES 11
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Re: MSM460-WW and H3C WX5004 controller

Hi,

This is the link for the WX/Unified forum:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Comware-Wireless-Unified-Series/bd-p/wireless-a-series-forum

Regarding you question, it looks like discovery issue:

Lwapp status machine init fail, the system will reboot.
[State : Idle] Reset request, rebooting the AP

* do you have existing APs online on this installation ?

* are the APs discovered on same subnet or behind a router (L3) ?

* if Layer3, did you configure DNS or DHCP for discovery ?

DHCP does not look configured:

The length of option 43 is: 0

* did you enable auto-ap and auto-persistent on the controller ?

best regards,Peter.

d1n0
Occasional Advisor

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply.

* do you have existing APs online on this installation ?

Yes I have existing APs, but not this model. I have WA2620-AGN in production, and they are working ok. I have to extend coverage in some areas, and I have MSM460-WW to work with.

* are the APs discovered on same subnet or behind a router (L3) ?

They are on the same subnet, so its L2 discovery. They get the same ip address from DHCP as the controller is on. It works with WA2620-AGN

* if Layer3, did you configure DNS or DHCP for discovery ?

DHCP does not look configured:

The length of option 43 is: 0

No need for this I guess if its on the  same subnet and L2 discovery is taking place.

* did you enable auto-ap and auto-persistent on the controller ?

Yes I did.

Tbh, when I look at the files on the controller, I can see the main image that boots on the controller, and I can see different kinds of images like:

wa2600a_fit.bin ; wa1208_fit.bin etc.
However, I cant see msm46x_fit.bin which I am thinking is required for this AP to work. I have scanned the internet high and low to find this image but am not able to do so. I found out that on some forums it says it is included with the new controller image, so I downloaded that as well, but I dont see it, unless its packed in the same .bin file.

The new image for the actual controller I have downloaded it:  WX5004-CMW520-R2507P32-EI

So I am wondering if I update the controller to this latest image, will my MSM460 work then? And even more important, will the existing WA2620-AGN work with the new image. I dont want to boot up the new image and break 50 WA2620 APs lol, especially since I am working on this remotely.

Any advice? Thanks.

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

In the P32 download, you can find the release notes, which includes the table of supported APs.

The 2620 and 2620E are both listed for the P32 release.

For a while, the AC firmware automatically includes all the FIT firmware files, so there is no need to load these manually on the controller anymore (make sure there is no manual configuration override of the apdb ).

But you are right to verify the AP support, since I heard a while ago that one of the updates has dropped support for some older APs (3com/h3c models), so it is good to check these release notes if you still have 3com/h3c based APs.

On topic: not sure what is going wrong here.

* your version supports the 460

* initial msm code to unified migration worked (as per console output)

* layer2 is working already for existing APs

For some reason, the lwapp tunnel between ap and ac does not come online. I would suspect an issue on the controller side (unless there would be a bug of course).

Can you please check once more on AC:

* number of licenses installed/in use

* wlan auto-ap enable

* wlan auto-persistent enable

* not sure for the release you are using: an auto-ap template for this 460 model (serial-id auto)

d1n0
Occasional Advisor

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

* P32 is indeed latest public version

* display license shows the platform license info, which does not apply to the wireless platform AFAIK, so there it is normal to see no output.

* wlan ap licenses seem ok.

* could you post your full config (without password info) ?

* debug lwapp can shows you the session setup, but will require some filtering since you already 40+ APs online.

best regards,Peter

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

And did you have the 460 reset to factory (hold reset, wait for lights to blink on/off together 4 times, someone onsite could do this procedure) ?

When factory default, the APs have MSM code on them, during the initial discovery, the WX/Unified controller will update them to Unified code. There may have been an issue with the initial upgrade procedure. Reverting them to factory will trigger the update to Unified again. Since controller is now a more recent version, there may be an enhancement in the update method/intermediate firmware.

Also ask for LED status of the AP.

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

and the webbrowser thing of this P32, I learned from a collegue: if you update Firefox to latest version it should be fixed again. Not sure if latest version of Chrome is working already. Previous version of Chrome would work.

Not sure why, but this is what I heard.

d1n0
Occasional Advisor

d1n0
Occasional Advisor

We have also tried the factory, no change at all :(