5353 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM710 - 2nd SSID with different VLAN

DavidVL1982
Occasional Visitor

MSM710 - 2nd SSID with different VLAN

Hi,

I have a customer who had an MSM710 + 4 MSM430 installed by another party.

Switches are all HP Procurve

Their default VLAN1 is for the computer/server/printer network: 192.168.1.x/24.

A 2nd VLAN, VLAN10 is for the IP phones, range 192.168.10.x/24 (no DHCP on this one, I set each phone with a fixed IP, it were only a few)

They have one wifi phone, don't know the brand but it's compatible with the shoretel PBX. In the menu there is no setting for a VLAN ID.

As such, the wifi phone receives an IP in VLAN1 range, and the Fortigate 80c router 192.168.1.254 routes it to the VoIP network. 

There are some issues with the phone not ringing when called, as if the session times out or something.

My idea is to setup a 2nd SSID on the MSM430 that is tagged with VLAN10. If the wifi phone connects to it, I set an IP in the 192.168.10.x range and no routing is necessary.

They tell us that adding a 2nd SSID is no use as it will still be connected to the VLAN1 network. They say you can't assign an SSID to a different VLAN...

I'm not an expert when it comes to these devices or VLANs in general but from what I read in the manual, I'm quite positive this can be achieved no?

best regards

David

1 REPLY 1
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: MSM710 - 2nd SSID with different VLAN

Of 1course it can, you specify the egress VLAN when you do the VSC->AP Group mapping.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S