New Discussion

Re: MSM710 DHCP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mario2014
Occasional Contributor

MSM710 DHCP

Hi,

I have 2 VSC configured on my Controller. One is for Corp they other for Guest access. My problem is I would like the Guest VSC to query Internet DNS Servers and not the Corp DNS Servers. Right now the config is like this under the VSC profile.

IP Range 192.168.199.100 to 199

Gateway 192.168.199.1

DNS 192.168.199.1

When I try to add the IP of the ISP I get an error message that it's in the different subnet.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
JesseR
Regular Advisor
Solution

Your issue is that when putting the DNS server into the VSC itself, you need to specific the MSM controller's IP address. The clients will use the controller for DNS! Then.... on the main controller settings page - Network - DNS, you enter in your ISP DNS servers there. So the controller will grab and cache DNS entries from the ISP, clients get it from the controller.

Regards,
JR
Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide:

Mario2014
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have 2 VSC profile on the Controller I need my Corporate users to use the A.D DNS to resolved internal address and my Guest VSC profile I do not want them to resolve Corporate name.

I had a suspicious that would be the case. Only one DNS per controller  :( 

Thank you for the reply.

JesseR
Regular Advisor

Well, you CAN still have your Corporate VSC users use an internal DNS server (Windows/Linux) while your Guest VSC users use the controller.  You just have to make sure that your Corporate VSC is on a separate VLAN and that client devices on that VLAN use a DHCP server that ISN'T the controller itself (and that DHCP server would then hand out DNS entries pointing to your corporate DNS servers).   That's actually a pretend standard configuration/setup.

Jesse R
Source One Technology, Inc.
HP Partner

MSM 5.7.x deployment guide: