1753539 Members
5448 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

MSM710 Internet Access question

davehedgehog
Advisor

MSM710 Internet Access question

I have setup an MSM710 with 2 VSC's, one that accesses the corporate LAN via the LAN port, and another that provides internet access via the internet port.

The internet port is connected directly to a DSL router that provides NAT, DHCP etc. How do I make traffic from the internet VSC just egress directly onto the internet port? I don't want to assign it an IP address or use any routing. I want to keep this VSC completely at layer 2 as far as the controller is concerned. Is this possible? I suppose really I just want to bridge the internet VSC and the internet port, does that make sense?

Thanks in advance :-)

3 REPLIES 3
John Getzke
Honored Contributor

Re: MSM710 Internet Access question

Dave,

Take a look at the Configuration Manual on Page 155 (5-17):

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02704528/c02704528.pdf

Here you will see all of the available options for configuring VSC for egress mapping. 

"Before you can map traffic to an output interface, the interface must already be defined. For VLANs to appear in the selection list they must be assigned an IP address. (Define VLANs on the Controller >> Network > Ports page.)"

Unless you configure the VSC egress mapping page your traffic will refer to the defaults listed on your Controller >> Network >> IP Routes page.  It looks like you will have to assign an IP Address if you want to properly egress your traffic to a specific port/interface.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)
davehedgehog
Advisor

Thanks John, but have to admit i'm not really impressed with the way I have to set this up.

I don't want the controller to have an IP on the guest network, why should it need it?

To achieve what I want i've had to send the guest traffic tagged out the LAN port to the switch and connect the DSL router to the switch on a new guest VLAN.

Maybe I have misunderstood something but I don't see why I should have to configure anything at layer 3 to make this work. In effect I just want the internet port to function as a switchport for the guest VSC. I'd be happy to define a VLAN but why do I have to give it an IP address? If I give it an IP address no doubt it will enter the routing table which I don't want to happen. Just seems overly complicated for a simple situation that many businesses must encounter.

Many thanks for your help though, kudos added :-)

John Getzke
Honored Contributor

@davehedgehog wrote:

I don't want the controller to have an IP on the guest network, why should it need it?

I am probally too much of a novice to answer that question for you.  When I look through the VLAN setup steps (Page 229) I do see that there is an option to select "None" for the IP address.  However, the notes related to that section only mention using this VLAN setting for ingress mapping, not egress mapping.

Perhaps if you setup a new VLAN profile with no IP address and then bind it to your internet port you will be able to achieve what you are looking for.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple thumbs up)